Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please dont make fun of me...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EdgarHons, Dec 16, 2000.

1. EdgarHons

EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    Ok, I never played any instruments before bass, and as of now, I've only used combo amps. Now, I was wondering about this whole stack thing. To my knowledge a stack is...

Head
    Preamp
    Speakers

and a half-stack is

A head/preamp put together
    Speakers

Is this right? If so, also what is a power amp? Is is the head/preamp put together? Also what is a monitor?

I'd ask someone I know who's involved with music, but they'd laugh at me and probably point too.

2. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    hahahahaha! *points at Edgar*

no, no, just kidding.

a stack is a head + two speaker cabs.

a half-stack is a head + one speaker cab.

a head contains the pre-amp and power amp.

a power amp provides/regulates/whatevers the power.

a monitor is a speaker used to hear what one is doing onstage. they're the wedge-shaped things in front of singers.

if I got any of this wrong, it's because I only have a combo amp myself and/or I'm an idiot when it comes to amplification.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    No Problem EH...Nothing wrong with asking. In general, a pre-amp is the component that shapes the tone of your input signal before sending it to the power amp. The power amp is the component that takes the signal from the pre-amp and amplifies, or 'powers' it. Many 'heads' contain both of these components together, (An Ampeg SVT for instance), but you can certainly break them down into separate components, (The Demeter pre-amp and Hafler power amp that Bass Player Magazine is so fond of in their sourdroom reviews...)

The stack / half-stack refers to the cabinet configuration. A stack typically consists of two or more cabinets 'stacked' on top of each other, (Like a 4X10 on top of a 1X15), while a 'half stack' is, well, half of that, or a single cabinet. Clever guys who came up with those names!

A monitor is a separate speaker facing the musicians to help them hear themselves better. In some cases, the monitors will have only vocals because singers are a bunch of namby-pamby prima-donna's who think that it is all about them!!! :) No, really, vocals are usually more prominent in monitors to help everybody hear the vocals better as the PA speakers are usually in front of the band. Often times, if the entire band is running through the PA, you can get a full mix, or even one adjusted to your needs through the monitors, but this usually requires a higher-end PA.

Hope this answered a few of your questions...

-robert

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California

6. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Hey,who made my words all slanty?

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    When you pull a quote to post your reply, you gotta' make
    sure your message is outside the {QUOTE} ~ {/QUOTE},
    {i} ~ {/i}, and {B} ~ {/B} thangs.

8. EdgarHons

EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    Well, while we're on the subject...what does all the 1x10 and 2x10 stuff mean?

9. 1x10 2x10 etc refers to the number and size of the speaker cones.. for example, a cab with 4 10" speakers is a 4x10

10. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Thanks for the tip.How's this ?

Just to keep on the subject...
    a 2x10 is an abbreviation for a cabinet with two 10 inch drivers,a 1x15 is a single fifteen in.driver in a cab.
    or did someone say that already?