Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

please excuse my ignorance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ollybarclay, Jan 17, 2006.

1. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    but, i realise this is probably a VERY basic question, but i've been reading alot of stuff on here and this doesn't seem to have been made abundantly clear.

in GENERAL terms, for making sure you've got a really nice low sound as well as a decent range of mids and treble, should you have say a 4x10 for the trebs and mids and then something like a dedicated 1x12/1x15 for the really low stuff?

of course just using a 4x10/6x10 WILL give you a good range of lows, mids and highs, won't it?

yours stupidly...:D

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Speaker size isn't the only factor here. You'll find that a 4x10 can be as low as a 12 or a 15. A 4x10 has more cone real-estate than a 15 does...the box design and port design and speaker specs also factor in. Many of us around here have used a single 4x10 and had plenty of lows. These days I use a 2x12 that has the lows but also has plenty of mid and top end.

You really have to go and try out a cab to see what you're getting.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Generally a ported 410 will give you plenty of lows. A sealed 410 alot of people add a 212 or 15.
    But like Burning Skies says, check them out yourself.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    good lows can be a matter of having the right head too! Most "pro" 410's will sound pretty low, but if the head is more hifi having a good 112 or 115 will help bring out those lows.

I've used a SWR bass 350, RBI/Stewart, and Eden wt300. the eden HANDS DOWN had the heaviest tone and lowest bottom ALL WITH THE SAME SPEAKERS. even with all the tweaking on the swr or RBI cannot even come close to the eden's subwoofer type tone.