1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please explain Neck A-B-C-D

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iriegnome, Mar 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Heard it hundreds of times. Don't understand it. Seen pictures, but don't have a clue. I know it's kind of weird having as much experience on bass as I do, but I am trying to find "My Bass" and this is getting more and more complicated.
    Explain to me, other than feel, what exactly is a A neck or a B neck, C neck or D neck. What is the exact difference between them and if you have an example of what is what, that might help as well.
    I play a Modulus Quantum 5. I like the way it feels. I also had a Fender Precision Deluxe 5 and the neck was huge. Fat. Thick and hard to play. I know the differences in heel width and nut width, but
    for some reason I am not grasping cup size(yes that was a joke)

joebar likes this.
  2. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    From Fender Neck Profiles | Fender Tech Talk:

3. Icculus

Icculus

Jul 29, 2010
    Brotherly Love
    From the last paragraph of the link above:

"There is occasional confusion about C, U and V neck profile designations and A, B, C and D neckwidth designations. From the early ’60s to the early ’70s, Fender referred specifically to the nut width of its instrument necks using the letters A (1 ½”), B (1 5/8″), C (1 ¾”) and D (1 7/8″). These letters were stamped on the butt-end of the necks and had nothing to do with neck profile."

There you have it. A/B/C/D refers specifically to nut width and not neck profile.

4. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Well, C and D, in particular are sometimes used to refer to neck profiles. That's part of what makes it so confusing.

Also, C and D (and U, V, etc.) to describe neck profiles is somewhat universal. A, B, C, D to describe nut widths is a Fender-specific thing.

iriegnome likes this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    What C, V, D and U profiles look like:
    [​IMG]

dragon2knight, iriegnome and Khronic like this.
  6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Nice. Some great info. So I am looking at profile. Not nut width, so C D U and V. What bass uses what? Anyone have example that are not fender and what the neck profiles are?

7. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

My Roscoe Century C5M has a profile like the "C" above. The Dingwall ABZ 5 that I tried felt more like the "D" above although they call it a medium C.

8. CharlyG

CharlyG ~ he not busy being born Is busy dying.

Jun 11, 2005
    West Hills, Ca.
    Looks like I prefer U on guitars. Basses just have to be thin/skinny at the nut(shorter nut size), then everything else seems to work.

9. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    practise makes perfect

iriegnome and Fat Steve like this.
  10. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    thank you for keeping us abreast of the situation...........

11. CharlyG

CharlyG ~ he not busy being born Is busy dying.

Jun 11, 2005
    West Hills, Ca.
    My favorite Centurian, Testecles........"last e is long as in these"

12. I think "v" shape really only comes into play on guitars. I know 50s strats and their reissues talk a great deal about vintage hard v vs soft v and so on. I think in the 60s they switched over to c on strats.

Fender released a great model of 50s and 60s strats last year in really neat colors. The 50s ones hard a really great v neck shape that feels odd at first, but got comfy pretty quickly.

13. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    If it's more than a handful, it's likely a D (or DD). ;)

14. well...the Epi EB-O comes with a "slim D neck" (Profile not width). You'll notice the difference right away when playing it.

My Bronc has a ''C" neck" which feels totally different than a Mikro or EB-O neck.

Not sure what my Gretsch Junior Jet is for profile.....although it seems to feel different than most Fender offerings...