1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please explain to me like I am in idot how to wire my solderless EMG's P/J in series to a switch!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Feb 11, 2017.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I am not a exactly a wizz when it comes to electronics, so I like if someone would care to explain to me or link to a detailed diagram on how I most easily would go about making my solderless EMG Geezer Butler P/J pickups wired in series and connect them to a switch that lets me switch between series and and parallel.

I already looked it up on google, but honestly the diagrams I get doesn't makes much sense to me, like non of them explains what it is I have to add that makes the pickups connected in series.

The fact that my pickups are solderless and all connected by small fancy connectors to pins, probably doesn't help to the fact of me being able to figure out what is actually going on.

2. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    It would involve knowing the intended polarity of the wires on each pickup, and adding a dpdt series/parallel switch, it would be easiest taking out the emg pots, and only using the plugs on the pickups themselves, the rest would be new pots, and soldered, but you would need to know which pins on the 2 pickups were coil beginning/end, which is not hard with a meter, then wire it, you might have to switch one set of pickup leads, when finished if intended +, and - could not be figured out. The plug-and-play system is nice, but using it for this would make things more complicated , I looked, did not see a push pull pot with a switch on EMG's site, to do this with.

Attached Files:

NoiseNinja likes this.
  3. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Ok, thank you.

I think I got it, but then again I am not entirely sure I got it right.

Just to be sure I don't make any mistakes before I go soldering, this is a diagram of how the electronics are wired now (I don't use the tone pot, so I disabled that):

I gave the different connection pins numbers, so it would make it easier to explain
    [​IMG]

Now how would I go about making a series connection out of this wiring, and connecting a switch to swap between parallel and serial pickup connection?

My own initial thought would be this (-> = connect, /= disconnect):

20->21
    3->23
    2->22
    11->25
    8->24
    1->7
    4->14
    10->16
    11->19
    12->18
    6->Ground under bridge
    9/15 (Or should these be connected as well?)

Would that be correct, or am I missing something?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  4. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    You have 11 to 25, and you have 11 to 19, did you mean 13 to 25?...it looks like 10 to 16 comes out to system ground at 12, honestly, not having that stuff here, it would be poor of me to say I know what to solder where, it's not that it wouldn't work, it's that I do not know, that was my reasoning when I said, for me, it would be easier to use 2 standard CTS 250k linear pots (for volume), not the EMG stuff, (I do know the EMG pots are 250k), and it would be great to use them, they work fine, but, I don't know the EMG pinout, maybe someone who does will chime in. if I did this with standard pots, the worst case would be needing to swap ground/hot wires on one of the pickups if it sounded wrong when done, and that might only mean flipping one of the plugs on the pickups.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  5. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Thank you for your answer, even though you couldn't help much:

So yesterday, I haphazardly went through it even if I wasn't sure of what I did and I only had a 12 connection on/on switch at my disposal.

I gave up on the EMG connector pins and my patience to my own skills at soldering such small connectors quite quickly, but found out I could just break off the small circuit board the connector pins are connected with and underneath it would be just a normal pot.

So I happily went on soldering, and when I after all too much more work than necessary, had I been more well versed iin electronics and soldering, I thought I had the finished result.

What do I know, no sound o_O

So I thought I found the fault, only later to discover I was in fact right the first time.

Still no sound, alas :bored:

I then decided to unsolder the switch again and put the wiring back to normal, or as normal as it could go back after I messed with it...

No sound :(:spit::mad:

I thought then just maybe I could have got the wires to the output jackplug wrong, and sure enough, when I went on with the sound test there was sound :headphone::bassist::hyper:

But!

Then I discovered the noise! ...

What a horrible noise! :***: :sour:

And the strange thing: The noise got louder when I put my hands on the strings, like I was some sort of walking antenna!:cautious:

Hadn't I read about this somewhere?

I looked after places where the ground would be in contact with the hot wire, and after many resolderings and sound tests I came to the conclusion that I was a failure as a solder and decided to bypass my botch wires and thereby the pots as well and plug the pickup and ground wire directly to the output.

For some reason, I began again to question the way I conneceted the wires to the output plug all along, and I decided to go for a new approach.

Sound without a noise, sweet sweet noiseless sound, clear as angles sing, at long last long :whistle:

Doh!:banghead:

So the thread finally lived up to it's prophesying tiltel after all. :eyebrow:

I must in fact really be an idiot :meh:

But there is also a moral to this story and it ain't: Be careful what you wish for!

No, it's the morale of learning!

Next time I'll know how to not only make a serial connecetion between pickups, I'll also know how to solder pickups to pots and connect them.

And as that wasn't enough I also once again was reminded that you should always seek out different options as a solution to a problem:laugh:;):thumbsup:

Almost a win/win situation :hyper:

You could even stretch it and say I ended up having more control with no controls at all! *strokes beard and nod sagely*

And that!

That was a real story :cigar:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  6. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    Sorry you had so many problems, an idiot would have given up, there's no such thing as a failure who keeps trying, I'm not an electronics wizard, but, it would have been beyond my comfort zone to use the EMG stuff, a pair of decent pots, and a switch will only run 20 dollars, without the tone pot, it's not a catastrophe , and you're that much better for the experience gained.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  7. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Idot is spelled I D I O T.

Did i explain that well enough? :roflmao:

(Just kidding, no offense intended .. you had to know that was coming ;))

NoiseNinja likes this.
  8. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Doh!

That thread tittle....

catcauphonic likes this.