Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please explain??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I have head this comment both hear at TB, and I am posting a clip from a article from the MTD website, read below..........

"The MTD clearly has its own character, but it may not suit
    everyone. Some cherished its crystal-clear ring, but others found it too unforgiving to less-than perfect

Please explain the part I have highlighted in RED regarding "UNFORGIVING" I am under the impression that if your intonation/technique is flawed, this bass will TELL IT ALL...but wouldn't ANY bass do that? I mean, can you really mask bad technique? I really am curious about this and I am not trying to be a pain or make mockery of the statement. Thanks :cool:

btw, and YES I WANT ONE..even if my technique did suck, its hard to complain about having a MTD to make you step up :meh:

2. yes...with an MTD, if you make a mistake, people will hear it!

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    If you put a few dings in that MTD it will always hold a grudge and never speak to you again for as long as you have it.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Short-scale Gibsons spring to mind....;)

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have had experience with two EUB's. One was an early Clevinger. One was (I think) a BSX.

The first one, the (probably) BSX 'covered for me' on some technique issues I didn't realized I had. The second, the Clev, pointed them out in glaring bright neon-lit detail. It's still what I picture when I think about getting an EUB.

But you were right. Look at it as a sign to step up.

6. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I would think that basses are basically set up the same as far as frets spacings etc..and if you had bad technique, it would show on no matter what bass you were playing, guess I am missing something. I mean if one person sounds bad on a MTD bass, does that mean he can pick up a Rogue and sound great? I would not think so.....but than again, I am learning new things all the time.....

7. Bruce Lindfield

Certainly not - so basses can be 32" to "36 scale length or more, necks can have greatly varying widths and thicknesses, Michael Tobias was known for pioneering the assymetrical neck profile, for example; different amounts of curvature on the fingerboard, different numbers of frets - from 21 to 26 or more - etc. etc.

Basses can vary hugely, in all sorts of ways!!

8. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

Its kool, and I do understand for the most part what you are saying, hopefully I will never have someone tell me that I am really awful, but, if they did, I could always blame it on the bass :cool: good technique is hard to beat!

9. Bruce Lindfield

I go to Jazz Summerschool each year and several of the tutors are Pro bass players with many years of experience and impeccable technique!!

So I can remember talking to one of them and he was going to show me something, so I handed him my bass ...he picked it up and exclaimed "I can't play that!!! "

He was used to Double Bass and old Fender P basses....my Tobias Classic 5 threw him completely !! ;)

10. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Bruce, thats very interesting, I would figure someone like that could pick up any bass and play it with no problems :meh: see, thats what I mean by " I am learning new things all the time" from a previous post ;)