Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please find my fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ScottyBoy, May 30, 2005.

1. My next bass is going to be a fretless. I am having big trouble finding the bass that fits all my wants - new or used. This time, I want to get a bass that fits everything I want for the price.

I have found basses that would fit the bill on price and the sought of quality I am looking for- Lakland skylines, MTD kingston heirs, warwick corvettes, but they dont fit the criteria.

It only has to fit the following specs.

5 String
    Wide fingerboard (around 19mm string spacing)
    Fretless unlined ebony board
    34" Scale Length
    Be around $1000 USD or a little more.

Your mission, should you wish to accept it - is to find this bass :cool:

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
  3. Thanks .... but

I think the only warmoth with the wide neck option is the Gecko and its 35" scale.. Arghhh! the quest continues.

The sought of width I am looking for in a neck is the Gecko wide option.

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well.... hmm, let me think!

Carvin?

5. Atomic-Hedgehog

Atomic-Hedgehog

Dec 9, 2004
    Yeah, you should look up carvin.
    they make high quality stuff at low prices.
    www.carvin.com :)

6. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    Matt Pulcinella Guitars makes the perfect bass for you, but the price is a bit higher than you want to go to. He does either 34 or 35" necks, unlined fretless if you want (ebony board) and they sound beautiful (I've got a fretless six, and I don't use any other bass now) Have a look at his site, and see if you can find the extra money, it'll be worth it! (mine is the amber fretless 6 in the "Basses" section. Plays like a dream
    www.mpguitars.com

7. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I'd keep an eye out for a used MM SR.
    Not sure about the spacing though, and I believe some are Pau Ferro boards.

8. The stingray is definately too tight in the spacing - I used to own one, but looking for a wider fingerboard.

markfsy - Pulcinella sound cool, but your right, too much for me at the moment.

As far as Carvin, never have been a big fan of that pointy headstock but they are probably the only bass that is not an option due to fact they are mail order US only and I am not in the states.

Please keep the ideas coming :hyper:

9. I correct myself, both the wide and medium warmoth gecko necks are 19mm string spacing at the bridge.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Well now, you never said anything about a non-pointy headstock. You said...

Trust me, the Carvin BB75F or LB75F (with wide fingerboard option) is perfect for you. Did you know that you can order a Carvin bass with either a V-shaped (rounded) headstock or a traditional Gibson-style headstock? Or that many customers from overseas can make arrangements for delivery with an international shipper? Or that you can often find used Carvins in good condition on eBay, being sold by people who are willing to ship overseas?

MM

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    SB -

One of your Aussie countrymen has a similar concern about shipping internationally. Check out the following thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182220&page=4&pp=20

MM

12. Yep your right - lack of pointy headstock was not in the criteria - I checked the website and carvin does fit the bill. Its just that out of all brands, Carvin is a pain in the but to buy over here.

Its a bit like finding out Darth Vader is your father. I know its true - I just dont want to hear it. My dream bass cannot be a Carvin....

Come on guys - any other ideas :hyper:

13. Thanks mate - Ive bought in plenty of stuff from the US - you ring Basscentral, buy it, it gets here within a week. Easy as that. Shipping is not the problem. The very nature of Carvin is that you mail order to save money on a quality product. Problem is that is totally negated over here. There are hardly any Carvin basses coming into the country because they have taken the whole ease of mail order away and the price goes up so much it is cheaper to buy an equivilent bass that would be much dearer than a Carvin in the States. Thats fine, Carvin is just not an option for me.

Please keep the ideas coming :)

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    how about Nino Valenti's basses?

15. Good idea. I will check with him. I am not sure if he uses all Warmoth woods becuase if he does the wider spacing uses a 35" scale. I will contact him though - thanks!

16. To sumarise - this is the fretless I am looking for

5 String
    Wide fingerboard (around 19mm string spacing)
    Fretless unlined ebony board
    34" Scale Length
    Be around $1000 USD or a little more.

So far basses suggested that fit the bill
    Carvin (thanks, I did not know they had wide spacing)
    Maybe a Nino bass.

I am pretty sure G&L as mentioned earlier are narrow spacing (If I am wrong someone please let me know)

Any others - :help: