Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please folks...help me get a real good sound....read...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by billybo, Dec 8, 2003.

1. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    as bassits we all want the best possible sound for our style of playing...im a r&B and funk bass player...i would like to get a real good tone and deep sound..i have a fender deluxze j bass 5 string...and as of now i have an aguilar pre amp..im lookin for one more pedal that will boost my sound a little...i borrowed my friends sans amp and that was great...but he needed it back so...and that cost to much for me...but is it anything else i can get...i was lookin at the guyatone be-2 bottom equlizer..and the bottom limiter/compressor...i was also lookin at the lmb limiter enhancer...and the boss equalizer...and the ibanze synthesier(but i have fender??)...are any of these good pedals and which one should i get...i dont want no heavey rock sound..dont care to much for distortion...i dont play in a rock band or heavy metal band...i just want a clean sound like marcus miller...and what about chours pedals??? thanks guys..please help..gotta make my descion soon..so i can get it before xmas

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    And do you have an amp? Is it any good? You don't need any pedals to a get a great r&b and funk sound, keep things clean and simple.

Alex

P.S. Are you familiar with the concept of punctuation? There are all sorts of interesting marks that you can use rather than dividing up your post with ...

3. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    You might try the Aphex Bass Xciter pedals - you can dial in very good lows.

4. Boltboy

Boltboy

Dec 6, 2003
    I laughed.

5. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    thanks redneck..and i came on here for help with effects pedals...if i wanted an english lesson i would have went to an educational website buddy...stick to the topic...

i will look into that pedal...any other suggestions?(pedals im talkin about)

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    For me, it's not so much about an english lesson as the text all runs together and it's kind of hard to read like that.

The Aphex Xciter pedal is a good suggestion for adding some low end.

Or maybe a compressor to tighten up the sound? I don't know what your budget is, but there are options from $200 range (EBS MultiComp, Analogman Comprossor) down to the $70 range (Digitech Bass Squeeze)

If you're looking to fill out the sound more, maybe an octave pedal? Again there are options from $200 (EBS Octabass) down to $80 (Digitech Bass Synth Wah). For the money, the Digitech Bass Synth Wah does an amazing job as an octave pedal and also does one or two usable synth sounds.

Are you looking to be able to dial in a different eq mid song to go between finger/slap sounds? If so, maybe look into things like the Boss EQ pedals or the MXR M-80 Bass DI unit.

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You might get some more useful suggestions if you made your posts easier to read.

My other point, which was very on topic, was that pedals don't make your sound better, they make it different. The only exception to this is the aural enhancers and certain compressors. However, if we don't know what you want to change baout your sound, how can we help? What do you want more of (or less of)? Lows, mids, highs, punch, thickness, warmth, brightness, tightness, clarity etc?

Alex

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If you've tried the Sansamp (bass driver DI?) and it gave the sound you're after, I'd suggest either saving up or seeing if you can snag a secondhand one. Other pedals will give different sounds but I can't think of anything that is exactly the same but cheaper.

Wulf

9. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    IMO, the Xciter is very similar to a Sansamp, minus the "drive" and "presence" knobs.

So if you're looking for a cheaper version of the SansAmp, I guess that's a good choice.

10. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    i got mr. alex, but thanks for the advice. and i will proabbly go with the xciter... i am looking for better lows...thans all for the help

11. I would suggest a BBE Sonic Maximizer, although it's not a pedal. I'm an r&b/funk guy too, and I just love the way it fattens the bottom end, while cleaning it up. As an added bonus, it adds "presence" to the top, so when you slap, it really snaps (just hold back a little on your treble and/or tweeter). The bottom really sounds good when I play my synth (Juno-106) lines through there.

You can get 'em on the bay for about $60 (last generation 362 but still good) or around $120 (latest version).

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My opinion, if you can't get a good enough tone through your Aguilar preamp, then there's something else seriously wrong in your signal chain, whether it be bass, pickups, or speakers. No pedal "cheaper than a Sansamp" is going to remedy that with a top of the heap Aguilar preamp.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ... I would have gone to an educational web site ...