1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please give me advice on my (nonmusic) website

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Axtman, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Can you guys please check out the professional website (no music content) that I, with the help of another TB'er put together. I don't want to explain to much here about it since I want you to give me advice on how it is to understand and use.

Go ahead, rip the site to shreds! ;) But seriously, I would appreciate any input that you would have both good and bad.

www.localproductreps.com

Thanks,
    David

PS Also if you can give me advice on how to grow the website and make it more visible. Thanks!

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    The color scheme is horrific. Side panes could use a drop shadow or something to look less harsh. Do you need the advertising there to make a profit? If not, remove it.

What did you use to make the site? Wordpress?

3. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Thanks Tasty for your honesty!

The site was designed with Drupal. I had a professional graphic designer design the logo, color scheme and basic layout. I wrote most of the content, other than what product reps put in their profiles.

I am not that thrilled with the colors but I am not up on the trendy fashionable modern color schemes.

4. I'll agree the color scheme is hurtful--kinda reminds me of "MySpace" before the hike in CSS. When I design maps, the tool I use time and time again: http://colorschemedesigner.com/

I also agree that the titles in the side panel could be spaced out, drop-shadowed, or uncapped to make it easier on the eyes.

I see that "Search Reps" is on it's own--an independent and fixed search bar may be helpful too. Near it an independent "Sign Up/Sign In" link as well.

If it's possible, I think separating each section into their own <span-window>, allowing the middle one to be the only scrolling page, would add that "fancy yet efficient" touch to it--keeps focus on that window's information too.

The Share section may benefit as a grid--each logo and name--that way, more on one page and easy to add along the way.

You had the RSS option on the homepage but not the News page--if I had to choose between the two, definitely the news page or both...

Just my $0.02

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hot News? Yeah, that makes me think I'm on a celeb news website.

I do like the tabs across the top.

-Mike