Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please give me feedback

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Justin V, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    A few months ago, I recorded a song for my English class using just a set of bongos and my fretless. Instead of hauling my 4-track into school, I imported the song into my computer and burned it to a CD. Then, a couple weeks ago, I found the mp3 sitting on my hard drive and decided to put it on the web. Well, I finally got "approval" from MP3.com. Please give me your comments/criticism/death threats/etc.

the song's here

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Was the purpose of this song to be a back drop for a poetry reading in class ;)

It's neat, I think that the bass is too complex while the bongos are too simple.

It would be really cool, if they basically intertwines in terms of complexity, have the bass just layin it thick while the bongos embellish the groove a little, then alternate that forumla. That's just what I personally would have done.

Other than that, since I don't really know it's purpose, It's hard to say what I think, it's kind of like indian sitar/tabla music, only with a bass and bongos ;)

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Thanks WR. No, it's not for a poetry reading (though I guess it could be). I just improvised it (bongos first, then bass) and made up a page write up about the class.

BTW, there's a reason the bongos are simple. I don't know how to play them well at all. They just happened to be the easiest percussion to record at the time (ever tried recording a full drum kit with one SM-57? not fun).

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Two words:

1. Metronome
    2. Frets