please give me some advice on what pickup i should get

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lull&smooth, Jun 22, 2004.

1. lull&smooth

Jun 21, 2004
    please give me some advice on what pickup i should get ive been really thinking about it but i need a pickup dudes help :p

for a fender highway 1 j-bass
    need something for playin jazz and blues and funk

other basses:
    MIM active jazz bass
  2. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I have a set of basslines 1/4 pounder's in my fretless Jazz. They are very smooth and while not a "vintage'' sound, it is not "modern" at all.

i have also heard great thigns abotu DiMarzio Model J's. they are supposedly a very good, more vintage type, pickup. I have never played them though,

3. I use EMG's active pickups in my Custom 8 string Jazz Basses, they rule! I use EMG's in just about every one of my 30 guitars and basses. I am in the bizz, so I have tried almost everything out there and I still say EMG's are the best stuff made. :hyper:

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    EMG's are certainly very good at what they do, but they may not be what you're looking for. Or they may be, but I'd need more info.

Could you describe what you don't like about your current sound, and what you'd like the sound to be? i.e. more mids, more bass, more high end?

There are plenty of good pickups out there - Bart, SD, Villex, EMG, Dimarzio, Aero's etc. It's more of a question of what you're looking for, as they'll all have their own sound.

I'd also recommend reading SMASH's excellent J pickup review thread at the top of the forum.
  5. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    From what i hear the Bassline antiquity is the best, the guys at Celinder use them.
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Rio Grande! Rio Grande! Rio Grande!
  7. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    For vintage 60's tone get Van Zandt jazz.

8. How bout Duncan Antiquitties?
  9. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I love the sound of Jason Lollar singles, normal hum and buzz associated with single coil jazzers, but to me, these pickups sound very warm and clear, nice punchy usable tone. Good luck, it seems a bunch of us are having trouble deciding on pickups that are keepers!