1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help! 1975 Fender Precision Pricing (pic)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bocasfx, Jun 28, 2007.

1. I have the opportunity to buy a 1975 Fender Precision but I don't know how much would be a fair price to pay for it.

Everything is original except the neck, which was made during the 80's by a professional luthier. It is very well made. You cannot see or feel the difference between this neck and an original. The only difference is that there is no serial number and the "Made in USA" decal is missing as well.

It has mojo all over the place but for a bass this old the body is in good condition. All the other parts are original: pickups, pots, bridge, pickguard, etc...

Any thoughts on how much you would pay for a bass like this?

This is not a good pic but it's the only one I have...

91068788_344be6022f_b.jpg

2. im not very good with older basses, hmm, maybe 3, 4 hundred?

3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'd pay $500'ish for something like that if it played well. Too bad it doesn't have the original neck though.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Well, replaced neck is a big deal...but having all other original parts there is a good start. I would expect an all original 75 with correct neck to run between $1100 on the extremely low end (modded, non-orig. finish, non orig. parts, etc.) to $2000-ish on the high end.

Depending upon the owner, I would offer say $800 bucks to start then work your way to a comfortable compromise. If it's up around $1200, I would think carefully, as you can find a complete one for that scratch.

5. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Just curious... how do you know that "You cannot see or feel the difference between this neck and an original. " ?? Is the original neck still available? While I'm not an expert by any means, it's fair to say that a huge part of the value of a vintage instrument (like Fender) is having most of the stock parts, and I'd think the neck was possibly the largest part.

6. I'm sorry... I meant that you could not feel the difference compared to other Fender P's with original necks of the same era. The original neck for this bass is not available.

I'm thinking of buying this bass and then try to find an original neck, here or on the bay, and replace the one it has now.

The seller is not sure about how much this bass would sell for but he said that it would be somewhere below $1000 US. Maybe we will agree on a trade: My MM SR5 for his Precision + cash.

7. The value of anything that old is subjective. To spend $2000 on anything simply because its old is based upon personal opinion and the market for resell. To spend $2000 on something because it plays/sounds great is a little more objective. To me, if you play the thing and love the way it plays/sounds that will help in determining its value in comparison to a new instrument. Definitely the look of the body is cool, but with the new neck the playability should be significantly better than the original to get anywhere near the price of a stock original. With all of that said, I'd offer $500.:ninja:

8. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    I'd pay 700-800 for it max.

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    A grand is way too much IMO.

I'd say with a non-original neck (that has a HUGE influence on the price) that $800 is really about the max I would spend on that mid 70's P.

IF, and only IF I played it, and it absolutly set my word on fire then maybe I'd go as high as $1000, but it would have to be an EXEPTIONAL player for me to cough that kind of cabbage for that particular bass, considering the neck swap.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021