Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help...1st time bass advice

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Irie01, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    Alright, I have decided that I want to start playing upright now, and I am getting one for christmas. I was trying to stay in the 500-600 dollar range. The stores around here seem very expensive so I want to go through the internet. I saw on ebay that there are those few people who are constantly putting basses on for the"buy it now" features at several different prices. A few have free shipping and have a 1 year warranty. What are your guys opinions on getting one of those. What are good bass manufacturers?What do u think of Cremona and the sb-1 and 2. or Prima or Palatino. I saw them on there. Also, what are some things that I should look for when chossing a bass? Like the fretboard and everything. Is a ebony fretboard what I want?Thanks alot, I appreciate anyones advice or insight. I really need the help because I dont know anyone that plays double bass around here.

2. 1. Stay away from Cremona and Palatino
    2, You will not find a new bass worth having for the amount you have in mind. Your only chance is a used bass sold by someone who doesn't know the market.
    3. Read the Newbie thread under 'Basses'.
    4. You're going to want to believe that Cremona, etc., can't be that bad. Yes they are.
    5. Reread #2, then #3.

3. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I first want to say that I am sure in the fact that I dont want to use ebatp find a bass. I also went to a local store in my town and found a Meisal 7000(I think that is spelled right) for about $1400. I think that I am going to finance it. It is ebony fingerboard and has a great sound and feel to me despite the fact that I really have only played a few. AS for your question Ed, inspiration and a passion for music has made me decide that I want to pla upright bass. If I had the time and the ability, I would start playing saxaphone, piano, trumpet, violin,cello, etc... I love music and I love all instruments that creates music. I have only been playing electric bass for about a year and a half now. After about 5 months I found an amazing teacher that opened my eyes and put me in a very good direction musically.I started to read and study music,listen to a lot of jazz, and began to see music and my instrument in a sense I never did see before.Along with the help of a friend of mine who is an excellent classical guitar player and is studying with a very, very good flamenco teacher. Through him I get a lot of knowledge and wisdom that he finds at no cost. This all contributes to where I am today, which I am very happy with at only a year and a half of playing an instrument. Plus, I throw in some Mingus, Monk, Coltrane, or Parker and that upright sound goes right to my head. I would love to play it, and I think that it would improve my fingers, ears, and mastery of my instrument. Thanks for the advise Don.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I've been around a couple of Meisels, and liked them both. I recommended one as a purchase for a student of mine. I had one, but had to sell it for cash a while back. That one I'm hoping to re-aquire.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I have a Meisel 8950 that I love. It sounds great in all ranges, nice balance. It also records very well, for some reason. Great fingerboard.

6. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i have been playing on a meisel bass for about a year and a half now.
    my teacher setup the bass before i started playing on it (i am taking lessons through the school and get to use the bass and my teacher's knowledge for the price of my tuiton, no other charges)
    overall i think this bass plays and sounds better than most other cheaper laminated basses i have played like kays and those sorts, but i don't like the way it plays arco.
    don't mess with the real cheap ebay basses like the cremona's and whatever else is on there, you'll regret it.
    marcus and ray, were your meisels laminated?
    mine is but am not sure of the model number i would have to go look, i think it is 8950 though, it's a stradivarious copy.
    is there a place to find the year it was made by serial number or something?

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The one that I had was a ply bass and sounded like a wood bass just about up to the octave, then it started sounding like ply. It had two stickers in it -- one said Meisel, the other Eberle. My student's bass, which is just about identical in design but different in finish claims to be a Musima, according to the tag that the luthier who sold it put in there. You wouldn't be able to tell one from the other in a B&W photo, though.

The Meiberle has a brighter, throatier sound, where the Meisimuma has a dark and dry tone, sounds a bit like hell close up but projects the big, warm sound.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    And then there's the MeisePfretschner...this isn't getting any easier, is it. Mine's ply, they have solid ones, and possibly even a hybrid, not sure. Lemur's website lists all the models, I think.

9. Because he heard your work with Jon Raney?? BWAHAHAHA!!!

I think your washtub is due for a new string...

Your contempt for people you perceive to be somehow less intelligent that your great self speaks much more about YOU than it does about those you insult at every opportunity. Since it's obvious you don't realize this, I'm giving you this gift of knowledge with the hope that it makes you a better person.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You've been here long enough to know Ed -- solid gold he is.

You might want to look over your reply and see if you can get your point across with a bit more civility, if your point is indeed a worthy point in retrospect.

Dig?

11. And your post tells me about you; more than I care to know.

12. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hmmm, roswell1965, I don't think Ed is the one throwing insults around, you jack@$$.

13. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I seriously wonder where these dolts come from. :confused:

I started reading TB "up there", but I find the content and tone of posts "down here" to be much more informative and helpful for who I am and what I want to be as a player

As a blatent newbie to DB (I've already found one rosie... they ain't hard to spot), I have never felt like I was unwelcome, or seen the tone of posts from Ed, Chris, Ray et al as rude what so ever...

Likewise I have never shot off my fingers and made an @$$ of my self :eek:

Guys, thanks for you insight and advice, keep up with the tuough love routine... That's what keeps these boards as informitave as they are, and not drowning in the petty crap from up there.

ek

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

And I think your TALK is due for some backup from your WALK. Got some clips of your own washtub you'd like to post? If not, may I respectfully suggest that you either go record and post some or stop busting on the examples posted by others?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Come on, Ed! I never took you to be so thin-skinned. I suppose we all are when it comes right down to it. HOSEJOB69 was just saying mean **** to get at you.

You can judge yourself -- professionally and personally -- by the company you keep. Look around you and you know who you are and how you play. Screw what anybody says -- positive OR negative. Particularly a whiny little 14yr old prick like Roswell.

16. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    lord.....get over it. You have too much time on your hands to keep coming back to this lame thread over and over again. I originally started this with a question. Belive me , Ed, I took no offense in anyway to your reply. It wasn't at all helpful or in anyway insightful, but, hey, we are all different. This reminds me of highschool and middle school nonsense that you would see. Its obvious you have taken offense to roswell's comments, If you are so sure of yourself and your playing, forget it. It sounds to me like someone's ego got bruised. Im sure roswell is busy practicing,working , or whatever and does not have the time to come back to this thread that is going nowhere and helping no one.

17. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Wow! That was scarry. Please never ask about Meisal again, Have you no respect?

18. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny

19. Pict

Pict

Mar 9, 2002
    It could be worse I mean have you tried a clarinet forum?

The thing is all of these types of fora have far more questions than answers,those who know more are exasperated by those who know less and vice versa.I think newbies sometimes get the idea that information is wilfully being withheld from them by the more experienced,and inversely the more experienced sometimes give the impression that newbies should make more effort to find things out by themselves.When I look at the internet as a whole if ever I want some real meat and bones information there is usually money involved.Real info is money these days, e.g.
    I once searched for some furniture making tips,only to find lots of web pages with links that all lead to some appetiser info that lead to some plans,cd rom,or book for access to which payment was required.

The same thing goes for the bass ,for "where to put your fingers" "or how to buy a contrabass" type of info payment is required hence things like Rabbath CD roms,there is very little real sharing going on in the internet but plenty of advertising.Does a guy who spent $10,000 in lessons want to share what he has learned for free?Not as far as I can see but if everyone did everyone would gain.