1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help... 450-600 watt backup head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gmcelroy, Jul 5, 2012.

1. gmcelroy

gmcelroy

Apr 23, 2011
    What would be a good but fairly low cost 450 - 600 watt backup head to use with my 2 TC Electronics RS 210 cabs (8ohm cabs)? I recently had to send my RH450 back to TC for a warranty repair and used a Fender Bassman 250 115 combo at an outside gig last and it was not enough power to keep up so now I'm looking for a good replacement to use for some coming up gigs...one of which is also outside!

2. Bean639

Bean639

Aug 18, 2010
    Richmond, Va
    Carvin?

3. G-K MB-500 or G-K MB-800, Ampeg PF500, Several Genz Benz models. :)

4. Not so much power is needed to push 2 2x10 cabs.

Without the baked in low filtering of the TC you're not going to get nearly the same volume as you're accustomed.

5. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Genz Benz Shuttle series? I really like my ShuttleMAX 12.0. It's clean but I can make it gritty, mix channels, and it has a pretty powerful EQ. It'd definitely get you there. I'd look at the Streamliner if you want supper fat old school bass tone. They can be had at plenty reasonable prices secondhand. A PF500 is cheap and not that bad at all.

6. gmcelroy

gmcelroy

Apr 23, 2011
    That's one of my primary concerns with using any other amp with the TC cabs.

I was able to hear the Fender Bassman 250 combo last night but I practically had it dimed which caused the speaker to fart out a little.

The 500 watt Ampeg PF-500 is looking pretty good and I'm thinking the volume with it through my 2 2x10's would be louder and clearer than what I had last night... anyone reading this post have experience any with this amp?

7. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I owned one for a while. I put it up against my SVT-CL and didn't disappoint, especially for it's price point.

8. Deedubs

Deedubs

Mar 5, 2012
    i have an old usa model svt III pro 450w. i love it! not sure how it compares to the new svt 3 pros though.

9. I have one as part of my rehearsal rig thru a 210. It's been on a few gigs with me also. If you like the Ampeg tone you can't go wrong. The PF-500 has some bells & whistles, it's light, and sounds solid. I've had mine about a year with no issues. Deals can be had used in the $300 range.

10. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    If I needed a backup and had a pair of RS210s I would probably get a GK MB200.

Edit: missed the 450-600 watts part.:) Then GK MB500.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    My backups are a GB Shuttle 6.0 and a GK MB800. Great amps, that can each easily do duty as my "Main Squeeze." I still have a lead sled CA6 and some good pre-amps that get the air now and then.

The two backups were each purchased used—and were each under $500. No problems with either one, and the only thing I wish they could each do is heft a 2 ohm load, but you know, I really don't need that very often, and the M9 and CA6 do it when I need it.

12. My Ibanez Promethean head sounded louder than an RH450through a TC RS212, so I don't know that the lack of the TC "baked in low filtering" should concern you.

As always, TRY it first before deciding :)

J

13. gmcelroy

gmcelroy

Apr 23, 2011
    The Promethean head is another one I'm considering as well; the only problem is I don't have any shops within a 3 hr radius to be able to go into to try out different amps so a lot of my gear decisions have been based on forums member experiences and reviews.

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Used Markbass LMII? They run around 300-350$ These days. I keep mine around as a backup.

15. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    You said 450-600 watts and inexpensive. I vote ampeg PF500. It's only $399 or so. A brand new 500 watt head at 4ohms.

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI