Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

please help! 5 string pickup anxiety attack

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Feb 12, 2003.

1. hey,

i have built myself a 5 string bass (never again! ) and have been losing sleep over what pickups to go for.

I have decided that I should probably go for the tried and tested jazz bass option but was considering p/j .

any experience with 5 string p/j?.

they are a bit hard to find so i haven't been able to try one.

i read a review that said something about the B string being a bit lost with the two pickups on.

any thoughts i'd be grateful.

cheers
    mike

:bawl: :bawl:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Why not go for soapbars, they can be J-like or P-like or anything inbetween, depending on the model.
    The housing format per se doesn't determine the sound of the pickup.

The P format can be tricky because of the uneven number of strings.

Basslines are getting some praise here, Bartolinis are also worth considering.

[edited for typos]

3. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    id say soapbars too. plus im figuring that it would be easier to put them in anyway.

4. yeh i spose the soapbar think would be much easier but i just find the exposed pole pieces thing really does add something for my mind.

also i was trying to stay away from the bartolini emg thing that EVERYBODY seems to have.
    maybe i am just fussing too much.

still i built this 5 string so the last step ie. pickups is worth messing around with for a while!

5. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    building a bass rocks!