1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

please help! 5 string pickup anxiety attack

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Feb 12, 2003.

1. hey,

i have built myself a 5 string bass (never again! ) and have been losing sleep over what pickups to go for.

I have decided that I should probably go for the tried and tested jazz bass option but was considering p/j .

any experience with 5 string p/j?.

they are a bit hard to find so i haven't been able to try one.

i read a review that said something about the B string being a bit lost with the two pickups on.

any thoughts i'd be grateful.

cheers
    mike

:bawl: :bawl:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Why not go for soapbars, they can be J-like or P-like or anything inbetween, depending on the model.
    The housing format per se doesn't determine the sound of the pickup.

The P format can be tricky because of the uneven number of strings.

Basslines are getting some praise here, Bartolinis are also worth considering.

[edited for typos]

3. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    id say soapbars too. plus im figuring that it would be easier to put them in anyway.

4. yeh i spose the soapbar think would be much easier but i just find the exposed pole pieces thing really does add something for my mind.

also i was trying to stay away from the bartolini emg thing that EVERYBODY seems to have.
    maybe i am just fussing too much.

still i built this 5 string so the last step ie. pickups is worth messing around with for a while!

5. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    building a bass rocks!