Please help a bass n00b!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skippay, Jan 12, 2005.

1. skippay

Jan 12, 2005
    I recently purchased a Fender standard 4-string jazz bass (mexican made) brand new from the local Guitar Center. I play mostly slap and double tap stuff. My problem has something to do with the bridge. After about 15-20 minutes of playing my g-string goes from looking normal, like this:

To lowering all the way down and looking like this:

I have no idea why it's happening, but it's very inconvenient when I'm in the middle of playing and fretbuzz ensues like crazy. Is this a common problem with Fender Jazz Basses?

This also happens to the other strings as well, just not as rapidly as the g-string.

Please tell me how to fix this! :help:
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That happened when i owned one of those basses 2 years ago, cept on E string. That model has a particularly crappy bridge and that happens a lot. I would replace the bridge if you could, with a Leo Quan badassII bridge. THey are direct replacements and are a better bridge. All you will have to do is unscew the old one and screw in teh new one.
  3. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    i wouldnt even try to fix it...just take it straight back to GC.....

sorry if that didnt help
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That works too, althoguh let it be known its a common problem for that model.
  5. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The cheaper solution (although I support hte BadAssII solution) is to go back to your dealer and get the bridge replaced with a new Fender one (which they should do for free because your bridge is defective).
  6. skippay

Jan 12, 2005
    Wow, I expected more from a bass that cost me 400 bucks.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Put a little Loctite on it. Keeps it right where it should be.
  8. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    what? haha
    my mim precision did the same, on the E string just like Figjam and I'm sure alot of other people, but you should consider the badass bridge if you have a few bucks sitting around, it helped my precision so much, no more problems at all and it sustains forever, I'm living in Japan now and I plucked the D string before I left, when I get back in a few months I fully expect it to still be ringing