1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please help a guy out, need new drivers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basscooker, Mar 8, 2013.

1. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    hi all, thanks for taking a look,

i'll fill you in, and maybe some of you will have some suggestions. what i have now are Jensen p12's in 1x boxes. they sit under a 20 watt tube amp. they're pretty and vintagey-creamy and all that, at low (really low) volume. since they're far from bass drivers, i've been staying away from really laying into them, since they're also most likely from the 50's.

well, i'd like to actually be able to get the amp open once in a while, if you know what i mean, but getting new boxes isn't an option for this one...http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ampro-2x12-all-vintage-826548/?highlight=ampro

it's just for the living room, practicing and goofing off. i don't want to ruin its mojo by doing much more to it other than putting some speakers in there that won't explode into mardi gras confetti.

the amp likes an 8 ohm load (in a perfect world i could find 16 ohm speakers), and the cabs are a little smaller than 15x16x10. they're "sealed"ish. the rear of them will come off for access to the rear-loaded speakers. they don't make a very tight seal, but it's not so bad it needs to be considered open, either, i think.

i'm really in search of a really sensitive 25-30 watt driver that will do alright with a bass. i'm not trying to play stadiums. i'm not recording my opus. it's as much decor that i can plug into as it is an amp. keep that in mind. it'll never be split up, so 4 ohm speakers are in play, too, i'll just make a series-cable for it if i have to. the eminence beta-12b is not happening. i'm not exactly "on a tight budget", but i'm not going 160 bucks in on 4 times the power (for each speaker, so actually 8x) than the only amp they'll ever see can put out.:D

thanks for any help you can offer. my amp thanks you too. ;)

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ultra cheap 4ohm 12" for sealed box. Expect more traditional bass type sound. Nowhere near as bright as your guitar drivers.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-3212

Really, at 20 watts, most any new pair of guitar drivers you like the sound of would be just fine. Just something new that's a little more robust than your Jensens. Think ceramic magnets and voice coils 1-1/2" or bigger..

That Beach link is a pretty good price on the Delta12b.

Other option would be to buy a single 8ohm Alpha or Beta and just plug in one cab.

3. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    none are bass drivers, and all but the jensen (with a freq low around 65, and also a guitar speaker) cost more than the delta-12b.

i found all of those (and more...boy'o'boy lots more), but i was hoping there were something a little more suited to bass. remember, i mentioned it's a living room amp, never gonna be more. $200 bucks in drivers isn't really something it's going to get. the mod-12 sits in a price point range that i'd go for, but my concern with guitar speakers is ripping them up. i even thought about just getting some new p12's, but yet again, a guitar speaker. thanks, though.

4. The MCM drivers would work well for a cheaper option, just wire the two in series and you have your 8 ohm load :) (I didn't explore the 4 ohm options)

5. You are not going to get "real" bass performance from those cabs anyway. With only 20 watts why worry about rattling the cabs with bass speakers? I don't see 50 watt guitar speakers failing with 10 watts of bass? Just my thoughts anyway :D

6. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    thanks. do you guys think i'll be ok with those kind of drivers? i'm fine with the tone i get with the ones that are already in it, but they're very old, and they like to remind me of that on occasion, too, which is why i won't lay into them anymore. maybe just a new pair of them, then, i guess. the amp gets kinda mean when i really dig in, are you sure? some of the ones i looked at have xmax ratings below 3mm. i think some of them are even 1.5...
    i still kick myself thinking about passing on a pair of the delta 12b's leland closed out a few months ago for 49 each...

well, b-string, will33 thanks

p.s. are you sure? guitar speakers? 2mm xmax? Fz~65Hz, 20 watt tube, howling into them with a bass? :D

7. It takes output power to move the cones. I don't think you have the power or low end response (limited by the OT) to make use of 3mm Xmax by two speakers ;)

8. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    you know. i think will33 might have done it. i looked closer at the one at mcm. that's in a price range that's worth it to me for some trial and error.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    B-string's right about your power. At 10 watts per cab, xmax is a non-issue. A freq. response you like is much more important.

The MCM's are budget stuff to try out. Haven't heard that one, just going off a couple key specs. Your amp will be fine with them and they'll give you what bass the amp has to give. You will notice a loss of treble compared to what you're used to. A bit as if the speaker is rolling your tone knob back a couple clicks for you. Should sound on the "warm" side, but not overly dark.

10. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    if the xmax won't be a problem, would you suggest that i "shop" spl and freq response only? or should i watch something else (or others...) too?

11. Sensitivity (SPL 1w/1M) is the most important as you have little input power to deal with. Frequency response and Fs (free air resonance) second.

I strongly suspect the low end response will be around 45 Hz from the OT, 35 at best.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    For a 3rd or 4th spec to look at....EBP below 100 is better suited for sealed boxes. A Qts of higher than .33 or so can indicate it can reach the bass frequencies without needing such a giant box to get there, but really, the Fs has to be low enough to make bass in the first place before you worry about how much box you need to make it.

That MCM I found with just a minute of poking around. What I looked for was 12", 4ohms, SPL of mid 90's or better, Fs below 60hz, preferably lower than 50, and EBP suitable for your sealed box....in that order. Then looked at the spl range just to see it could reach at least 2khz.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Oh, and a cloth surround rather than rubber, indicating an instrument or prosound driver rather than stereo speaker.

14. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    hey, thanks! huge help. this is one of those moments where i listened too well to the advice here, and didn't know the details concerning that advice. i was looking at (anything 4 or 16 ohm) :
    xmax (first), spl (second),then freq resp.oops. thanks for the help. ampro will be happy :)
    should i go ahead and shred the old ones and take some pics 0:

15. NO you may get a premium price for those from a guitarist. Had a friend that used to pick up old equipment and sell the Jensen's on Evil Bay. That is how the company that re-issues the Jensen line found us.

16. RS66LB

RS66LB

Dec 29, 2012
    Connecticut
    The Eminence Kappa 12A is a great all around speaker and is pretty close to 100 db @1w/1m however the guitar type "Swamp Thang" is about 3 db louder

17. BAce

BAce

Jul 31, 2012
    Take a look at the Goldwood GW1238. They have 94.1 db efficiency, xmax of 2.1mm, 1.5 inch VC, 36hz to 7000hz usable freq. response and 130WRMS power handling capability. Parts Express has them for a whopping 45 clams a piece. I've used them for PA use on a budget and they are quite a good driver for the money. Might be just the ticket for a living room bass cab.

18. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com

well! one's an "M" and one's an "N". i've known about their guitarist following for a while... the vintage section is where all the stuff came from to begin with...but i kinda HATE selling there. everybody and their cousin takes something off the final price, buyers cause trouble before even trying to remedy whatever problem they think they have. they don't read the listing completely, or don't pay, leave bad feedback for problems with the shipper, and on and on...by the time you have your money, it's 20-30% less than you would have gotten, and you've spent hours dealing with it all (and are down a few doses of asprin)...naaaa! maybe the local CL....or the good vintage shop down the street....i'd offer them up here, but i'm not allowed. :spit: i don't have the right membership.

i'll be getting those MCM ones, soon, i hope. does their stuff go out of stock, or are they buyout sellers with limited inventories? it could be a month...

BTW did you see this?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPRO-16641...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c30ce1a98