1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help! Bass Amp noise!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ang, Jan 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ang

Ang

Jan 29, 2017
    I just bought a used Kustom KBA 100 Bass amp. When I tested it, it sounded amazing. After about an hour playing it at home it started to have a loud whinning sound! ! Described as a fax machine or tea kettle sound! Even still has the noise after unplugging my bass, swapping power cords and even moved to another wall outlet. PLEASE can anyone tell me what it may be?

2. It sounds like something oscillating in the electronics.
    Or does it have any fans that might be going bad?
    Some amps don't run the fan until things heat up.

Did you buy this from a store that maybe has return policy?
    If so go back and see what they might do.
    If you bought it from an individual, you could let them know and see if they'll make good on it.

Give it a real good visual inspection, especially inside if you are comfortable opening it up.
    Be sure the AC cord is disconnected from the wall and or amp and wait for some time to let capacitors discharge so you don't risk shock.

If you've never worked on stuff like this, you should have someone who knows there way around look at it.

If it turns out to be something major you might be better off getting something else, but that's up to you.
    You might get the one problem fixed only to have others show up.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It could be a thermal related problem. It doesn't occur at first but once the amp reaches a certain operating temperature, the problem manifests itself.

Unfortunately, I could be that the seller was aware of this issue and knew that it wouldn't be evident when you tested it.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  4. That may very well be the case. But if one were to ask, and the seller hedges, you've at least let him know he didn't totally get away with it. Which would be the case if nothing is said.

Buyer beware.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  5. It’s Tech Time! Sorry.

6. Is that like Miller Time but without the sorry?:hyper:

7. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    I don't think so. I always look forward to Miller Time. Tech Time, not so much.