Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help - Best small Gig amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by john4bud, Jun 19, 2001.

1. john4bud

john4bud

Dec 23, 2000
    Hello. After many years of playing I have finally found myself part of a newly formed cover band. I have owned a Peavey TNT 130 amp (which is close to 15 years old) which is good for practice. However, I am now ready to take the plunge and get a nice combo or head and cabinet to use playing small bar gigs and some outdoor parties. I am looking for a amp which is priced between $800 and $900 and that has a good sound for hard/alternative rock and occassional slap bass.

I read a great review in Bass Player about the Carvin RC210 although it only has a 1 year warranty and would probably be expensive to fix with the shipping charges.

I would appreciate any thoughts on that model or other recommendations. I am getting overwhelmed with all the different choices out there.

Please assist!!

Thanks!

2. Hey John, welcome to talkbass. You're probably going to get a lot of advice on this. My 2 cents would be to tell you to get a head/cabinet over a combo: more versatility, and not that much more of a pain to transport. You can get a head in the 300-400 watt range new for about $500.00, which would leave you with $400.00 for a bottom. Which one would be up to you. Do you like 15s or 2 or 4x10s? Try these sites: www.samash.com

www.musiciansfriend.com

I myself like Fender or Hartke, but again, this is up to you. Fender = 60s type sound, more or less.
    Hartke = a more modern type sound. There's lot's of others.

Good luck,
    Mike J.

3. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    A combo that's hard to beat is the Eden Nemesis NC210P. I played one a few weeks back and was very impressed with its volume and tone. Compact and easy to carry too. Now, I think I need one of my own.

4. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    You know, I have kind of been wondering the same sort of questions as the originator of this post, but kind of from the other side. I have a 600w PEavey bi-amp stack that is just too much for most gigs. I have been thinking of getting a 2x10 combo for small gigs and adding the 1x15 cab when I need to fill bigger rooms. What do you guys think of this? What 2x10 combos do you recommend?

5. anonymous101511

anonymous101511 Guest

Mar 5, 2001
    Dean Markley Strings, Xotic Basses, Kubicki Basses
    Check out POLYTONE !! Their Taurus Bass amp is really small but sounds huge. Single 15" plus two tweeters sounds fat with the crispness available when you want it. Sounds better than any 4x10" and is 1/3 the size!Get away from little(8s and 10s)speakers, you'll be glad 'ya did.

6. Vailbass, I've heard studio bass legend Carol Kaye speak highly of Polytone also. Do you, or anyone else here know anyone that sells them? I've never seen them here in New York. They seem to be popular on the west coast.

Mike J.

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Regarding the Carvin RC210:

Yep, it's a steal. Repairs might be costly, true... so don't break it! Awesome series by Carvin though.

Eden Nemisis 210 combo. Man that thing looks sweet and is a cool price too. It is really small, which I thought was awesome... But for that price I got the RC210 and 1x18 together.

It's a great idea to get a 210 combo for versatility and a cab to stick under it for more power. Check out your local stores as plenty of manufacturers make them and you are the best judge of what sound you like.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I just bought a Gallien-Krueger 400RB 210 combo. It pushes 150 watts to the enternals, but you tack on another 8 ohm cab and you get 240. It kicks back as a stage monitor like the Carvin. I know 150 watts doesn't sound like a lot, but it is plenty loud for anything I would ever do. We always play shows with huge PAs, so I am not looking to create a ton of stage volume. I A/Bed this amp with the Nemesis (which is what I thought I wanted) and picked it even though it cost $50 more. I is built much more solid, I loved the kickback feature and prefered the tone of the GK over the nemesis. It was as loud. Especially with the speakers turned up to your face.

I play 5 string. There is a feature on the GK that allows you to switch the EQ voicing to 5 string. IT is kind of cool. There are some great tone shaping features on the amp, it has everything you want for gigging. It is perfect for my needs. I paid $750 new including taxes.

9. I got my NC-212P for $649, shipping included. 225WRMS into 2 12" woofers. (Don't let anyone tell you bass multiple-woofer bass amps only come in 10s and 15s!). It cranks and handle the low B string on a five string bass nicely. I can certainly see the desire to get the amp and cab seperate, though. It's a tough decision...

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The Nemesis is a sweet sounding amp in any flavor, but for the price, (and my opinion, which is free!), the Carvin RC210 can't be beat. How can I put it?? It just has more 'nads' if you get my drift.

Like Gabu, I sometimes bi-amp into a larger bottom, but I really haven't run across any small/medium gigs that the combo can't handle alone. If you want a separate head and cabinet, you're only four screws away... The R600 head slides right out of the combo, and it just Kicks A$$ playing full range into a single 15" cabinet!

FWIW,
    -robert

11. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Small gig and outdoor party need different set up I think.
    I found that for small gig SWR Babyblue combo is the best. Good sound and portability.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Small gigs and outdoor parties "are" kind of on the opposite ends of the spectrum.