Please Help: Blown Speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stevekim, May 14, 2003.

1. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    I let a friend borrow my mesa boogie 2x15. He told me that during practice the cabinet suddenly cut out. I checked it out today and found that the top speaker is completely frozen. no give at all when you try pushing it in. i've never run into anything like this. has the voice coil fused together? what could have caused this?

the bottom speaker seems fine. no sign of voice coil rub and the cone movement seems normal. the problem is, i am not getting ANY signal at all. I've checked to make sure it wasn't the amp/bass/cable.

my hypothesis:

top speaker is definitely gone. bottom speaker is most likely okay. i'm not getting any sound because somehow the wiring got damaged.

what do you think?

anyone have
  2. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    if they're wired in series and the top one is screwed up somehow, then you probably won't get any signal to the bottom one.
  3. Your top speaker is what known, oddly enough, frozen. It's toast and will have to be reconed or replaced. FWIW, it's usually caused by overexcursion from WAY too much low end boost. The bottom one sounds as though the coil simple burned through. Unless the cab was dropped, I seriously doubt there's wiring damage. It takes a lot more than almost ANY amp can put out to physically burn up wire. Wire is MUCH tougher than voice coils. Your buddy owes you two speakers.
  4. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    damn. i was hoping the bottom one would be okay. no, i'm pretty sure the mesa is wired parallel.
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If it's parallel wiring then they're both stuffed. One way to be sure..... pull the speaker out, attach some speaker wire, and do the 9v battery test.

Psycho's right, your mate owes you 2 speakers (or recones).
  6. I think you got screwed by a Moron.
  7. Speaker damage and alcohol consumption usually go hand in hand. What your friend did is pretty much the same as taking a car on the interstate and mashing the gas feed to the floor until the engine blows. He needs to replace both speakers and in short order without anymore BS.

P.S. Don't loan him your car...;)
  8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hi Steve,

Another thing that can cause a loudspeaker driver to "freeze" is overpowering it to the point that the high temperature softens the adhesives, and then the stresses on the cone, spider, voice coil former, et al, cause them to start pulling apart or misaligning, and then the coil gets jammed in the very close quarters of the gap. A real charlie-foxtrot, as one of my friends, an ex-Marine, likes to put it.

As the others have said, your friend owes you a couple of recones.

I don't know anyone in LA, but Orange County Speaker ( in Garden Grove does excellent work at reasonable prices.
  9. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Definitely test the bottom speaker, as it might be just fine. If they're wired in series and the top speaker blew, chances are it opened the circuit so no juice gets to the bottom speaker. I think it's more likely they're in parallel, but check it out nevertheless.
  10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Damn Bob Lee is like a gladiator of bass knowledge...

Good job Bob