1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please help build a full-size Imperial Walker

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassrique, Apr 11, 2011.

1. bassrique

bassrique

Nov 27, 2007
    Florida
    I know this is goofy, but do we have the technology to build something like this?

YouTube - Hoth Snow Battle Star Wars Episoe V The Empire Strikes Back

AT-AT for America, The Dream: An AT-AT for America

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I get the appeal, but don't we already know that the AT-AT is worthless since it can be taken down with only a biplane and some rope?

3. bassrique

bassrique

Nov 27, 2007
    Florida
    The Next Gen Imperial Walker would have lasers and razors on the legs to defeat any tripping strategery.

4. Hi.

As an BEng mech and a Sci-Fi freak, that would be cool, but impossible to pull off AFAIK.

There's a very good reason most of the robots that use legs, resemble spiders rather than mammal bipeds or even quadrapeds.

Just take Your AT-AT model (the torso filled with sand preferably), raise one leg and watch what happens. If You do it carefully enough and nothing happens, raise the diagonally opposite leg for a step movement and by now it'll be perfectly clear why it won't work.

An antigrav unit is the key here, unless You want to fill the torso with a huge gyroscope or a three ;).

Regards
    Sam

5. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Good one. My first thought exactly.

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    So, we keep the movement low to the ground so as to keep the center of gravity from shifting too heavily with each step, and we move each leg in sequence, like an iguana rather than moving like a horse or giraffe.

I think we could do it, and it's as worthy a national goal as I've heard anybody in Washington talk about. Well, ok, maybe not, but I like the idea anyway.

7. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    YouTube - Boston Dynamics Big Dog (new video March 2008)

The tech is there, you just need to scale it up.

8. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    Gah, those original AT-AT's were so poorly engineered, it's like the Emporer WANTED them to fall over or something.

9. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Have you seen the video of the 1-legged hopping robots? You don't need a gyroscope, it's possible to fix the balance issues with accelerometers and software.

My question is: "does fully-functional include weapon systems?"

10. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
  11. Hi.

Cool toy, but that what it's been for the three or four years it's been around. And probably not in the budget of the "AT-ATforamerica" ;). Don't they have a 6 leg version as well?

"Just scale it up"?

Any technology that deals with dynamic loads and mechatronics is unfortunately not that scalable.

Nope, link please.

Regards
    Sam

12. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    curious to see this little debate scale out.

and full replica BETTER mean weapons systems.

13. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    This was before youtube. I'll see if I can find a link but think 50cm dia x 30cm high cylinder with a 1m leg. Steerable, could travel about as fast as a human.

14. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I think I saw the robot you're referring to, on a NOVA special along with a six-legged walker that carried a man and a couple of other prototypes. The hopper looked vaguely like the helmet Christopher Loyd wore in Back to the Future on top of a pogo stick, right?

If I recall, the walker they showed was a prototype done in the early '70s...one would think we'd all have all-terrain recreational walkers by now.

By all means, fully functional should mean fully functional weapon systems...just a word of warning from a guy who worked at a military proving ground until recently...the US armed forces will be VERY interested in figuring out how someone managed to make a device capable of carrying two charged particle projectors on the front, and wasn't the size of a couple of skyscrapers.

Of course, I'm not against building the thing as big as a couple of skyscrapers :bag:

15. Hi.

Out of curiosity I typed: "one legged robot" on Youtube and found:

This?

YouTube - 3D One-Leg Hopper Robot

Fits better to WalterBush's description than on Yours though.

Regards
    Sam

16. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    If the USA gets an AT-AT, does Europe get an AT-TE?

17. didn't the Ewoks kick their butts???

18. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Nov 24, 2010
    Central Alberta
    Unless we can build a Metal Gear (or at the very least, the Shagohod), I won't be investing my money in such a creation...but cruising down the main drag in an ATAT would be pretty awesome.

19. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    Walker shmalker. Let's see you build a Death Star.

PS: omit the trench

20. Why group this many scientific/engineering brains together to build something thatt was concieved in the 70s? Why not build something newer? Cooler? I for one would love to see someone build a working model of the motorbike from the new Star Trek movie, or a working Iron Man suit.