Please help (cab configurations)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Jun 13, 2003.

1. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I need help! I'm almost ready to replace my rig (cabinet) and I don't know what will best suit my needs. I play a bolt on Warmoth 5 string with pup in MM position. I'm currently using a Hartke 3500 through a Carvin 18" and that's it. I'm sick of my tone. I love deep bass but not mud (I like a more classic bass tone...not HiFi Modern).
    Do I get
    two 15"s,
    one 15" and one 2X10",
    one 18" and one 2X10",
    one 4X10",
    one 2X12"

I'm eagerly looking forward to your answers!
  2. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    My guess is, if this were a poll, that from the above choices, a narrow majority would prefer a 1x15 and a 2x10, followed closely by 4x10, then 2x12. But, you could add a good 210, or a 410 if you don't mind the tonnage, and that would mix some clarity into your 1x18 sound. You can always ditch the 118 later if you still don't like the way the stack sounds.
  3. If I were in your shoes, I would go out and get a 2x10 or 4x10 to stick on top of your 18. You said you like deep lows, and the 18 can provide that, and the 10s would add a lot of definition and clarity to your current rig.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Go listen to some cabs and use your ears not your eyes. Size of the driver doesn't tell you enough about how a particular cab will sound.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    use the ears
    case in point....
    the henry the 8x8 cab by swr had serious, almost tubby lows.........8" drivers
    i was in my local shop one day and heard crystal clear, articulate tone, turned around and the owner was playing thru a bagend 18bd.....18" speaker in huge cabinet
    imho, the epi 212 has the deepest and yet focused lows of any cab i've heard......but don't take my word for it, use a blindfold and trust your ears