Please help calculate total power draw

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fbny71, Sep 10, 2010.

1. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

May 28, 2010
    West Hempstead, NY
    I have three Boss pedals drawing 50, 55, 15 mA for a total of 120 mA.

I also have four Digitech pedals that draw 4.8 Watts each. Will a 500 mA power supply be enough?

Thanks for the help.

2. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Hiya.

I = P/V = 4.8/9 = 533mA for each of the Digitech pedals (i'm guessing you are referring to the X-Series pedals). However, I have measured them and they don't draw anything near this. For example my Bass Synth Wah & Bass Squeeze draw about 85mA tops.

So 120mA + 3 x 85mA = 375mA. Theoretically your 500mA power supply should be fine. The Digitech pedals might need a bit more as they fire up, being digital pedals, but once they're up & running things should hum along nicely. Just touch the case of your power supply after 30 minutes or so to make sure it's not nearing meltdown!

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    IMO it's better to have a PSU that can supply more current than required than one which can 'just' do it. You may end up playing somewhere the electricity supply is a little weak and you end up with half your pedal underpowered and just not working.

4. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Lancaster, Pa
    +1 I, too, recommend a power supply with a high current rating. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

5. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

May 28, 2010
    West Hempstead, NY
    Thanks Ba55Man1ac. Yes, all the Digitech pedals are the X-Series: SynthWah, BassSqueeze, DigiDelay, MultiChorus.

The Boss pedals are a TU-2, OC-3, ODB-3.

ga_edwards, jmac I agree I should have room to spare rather than just enough and maybe at that.

I'm using this SKB-8 powered pedal board- the included power supply can only handle 500 mA so I guess I should upgrade that power supply with another one that can handle say, 1000 mA.

Thank you all for the advice.

6. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    +1

Just wasn't sure of your financial situation. A power supply will run cooler & last longer if not pushed close to it's limit.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021