Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help! Can´t decide which 4x10 cab!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tomdabass, Jun 1, 2004.

1. tomdabass

tomdabass

Apr 19, 2004
    Hey out there!
    At the monent I play a 1x15 combo (Warwick), but I do not like the sound for slapping and fingerstyle. The speaker is just to muddy.
    Now I would like to buy me a 4x10 cab with a high frequency horn. The problem is I just can not decide which brand??? I need an alround cab that can handle funk rock jazz and fusion.
    Can you help me to choose one?? I tought of the fender 410h enclosure. but i am not sure. BTW it shoundn´t be too expensive!!

thanks!!!

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Try a GK RBH.

3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm not sure what 'too expensive' is to you, but I'd go for eden. I love mine and they're LOUD :bassist:

4. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Ampeg SVT410HLF

5. I am not familiar with your combo but can it give enough power to a 4x10 cab?

I would recommend pairing it up with a real nice 2x10 cab instead. You could end up spending less money and getting a better sound.

6. tomdabass

tomdabass

Apr 19, 2004
    I was planing to buy a new amp and a 4x10 box.
    I don´t know the prices in the usa but in europe the 4x10 cabs are all around 600€. The choice of a good head is also a problem. I don´t have much experiences with cabs. I always used combos. So now I am switching and need some good advice. THX

7. Ok I see now. Carry on.

8. Trace Elliot 1048H.
    Refuses to break either up or down. :)
    But, I don't know if anyone still has one standing around in stock, otherwise you'll have to buy used.

EZ

9. tomdabass

tomdabass

Apr 19, 2004
    I decided to buy an Ampeg B-2R amp. What do you think, should I take two SVT 2X10HE cabs or just one SVT 4X10HE cab??
    If I take the two 2x10 cabs I´ll have the full power of the amp (350watts) at 4 ohms. With the 4x10 I´ll only get 200 watts. The problem is that I like 4 x10 cabs very much, so what should I do??? Please help!

10. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    just for your information about buying that ampeg, dont buy it from a European retailer, buy it on www.music123.com if you buy it from a european retailer you will get ripped off. on music 123 you can get that for about $550 (€450) the cheapest i can find it in europe is €820 and that is with a good discount but still even if you pay full duties on the amp with shipping from the US and a heavy duty power converter it will still only come to about €650-€680. just thought id let yu know that, i dont know if that will help you.

11. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    If your doing a lot of slapping along with fingerstyle, and gigging often, then one of my favorite rigs for that situation would be a GK800RB head with an Eden 2x10 cab & Eden 1x15 cab stack. You'd be set forever.
    Get a 6 space rack for that GK head right away. Then down the road, you can add a rack mount tuner and be DONE. :cool: