1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

please help!cant decide;schecter stiletto studio5,ibanez sr905,ibanez k5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by benstormer, Apr 20, 2006.

1. benstormer

benstormer

Apr 20, 2006
    hi all,just wondering if anyone can give me some advice?i cant decide between;schecter stiletto studio5,ibanez sr905,ibanez k5.no local stores have them in stock 2 have a try.im looking for a realy versatile instrument&want to be able to get a wide variety of sounds from it,everything from a subby click boom korn style sound to a warm slappy funk sound.i definately want a powerful low end though.i also want a bass thats good for slapping.does anyone have any experience with any of these basses?please advise

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Dont get the K5. Waste of money

The SR905 is an amazing bass

The Studio 5 is quite nice aswell

I'd get hte SR905 without question though

Most underrated bass ever.

3. benstormer

benstormer

Apr 20, 2006
    ive heard that the studio5 doesnt sound very growly & meaty on the low end,any idea if this is true?

4. What exactly makes the K5 a waste of money? Cause it's Feildy's sig?:eyebrow: :rolleyes:

I've heard many good things about it and doubt it's a waste of money.

You can't go wrong with an SR 905 that for sure., but if you say you like to slap, the Schecter might do you better, they are slap monsters.

5. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI

Its a waste of money because you can buy the SR505 and spend about 200 bucks less, and have almost an identical bass, with the exception of the K5 inlay.

6. benstormer

benstormer

Apr 20, 2006
    is there much difference between the sound of the sr505&the sr905?

7. To Sutton: I thought the 505 was a Bolt on and the K5 a NT... learn something new everyday.

SR 505

SR 905

505 has a Mahogany body while the 905 is figured maple. they have the same electronics and same neck.

I've only played the 505 though, so I can't comment.

8. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI

Ah, good point. Still for just a little more, you can get the 905 which is a neck through AND has barts, which sound great

9. Indeed, actually the latter half of that post was meant for Ben, I just forgot to mention it.

10. benstormer

benstormer

Apr 20, 2006
    thanks for the input guys,much apprece8d.i know i like the sound of the barts.has anyone heard the emg-hz pups on the schecter?ive heard theyre quite versatile but im not sure if i'd get the same sort of growl as with the barts?please advise

11. benstormer

benstormer

Apr 20, 2006
    also does anyone know what the sound difference would be between the mahogany body of the sr505&the figured maple of the sr905?would i get as much of a beefy low end sound with the maple?

12. The EMG Hz'a are VERY HI-FI. I personally don't like them and would switch them out for some normal EMG's or for some Barts. But again, that brightness they have makes those basses really good for slapping.

13. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI

Personally, I'm not a fan of the EMG sound. Most people are though. That is why I'm selling my Spector Legend 5

14. go with the schecter i sware by mine. they play great sound great

15. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Actually, the K5 has different pickups, preamp, bridge, and neck woods.

16. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    I'd say maple actually has a stronger, tighter bottom end than mahogany, because mahogany has more of a warm, low-midrangey sound, but I guess it depends on what you'd call 'beefy'. I love a really clear bass, and I'm not as much concerned if it's 'warm' sounding, but some might call my sound 'hollow', and they'd probably prefer the mahogany to a maple body or walnut (which is what's on my bass).

17. hey
    i got a sr905 and its exactly what your looking for. You can slap it and get that "subby click boom" sound. Honestly you wont be dissapointed. Also i think i'd stay clear of the sr505, its amazing how much of a different sound you'll get from the mahogany body, not nearly as punchy.

18. benstormer

benstormer

Apr 20, 2006
    thanx for the advice guys,youve all helped loads.reckon im gonna go with the 905.failing that im gonna get the schecter&install a bartolini 54 preamp.thanx again