Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help, car oil question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Melf, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I was home for Easter weekend two weeks ago and my oil was low. So my father insists on putting in the oil. He wanted to put in a quart and a half which I told him not to do, but he did anyway. At the time the engine was somewhat hot(I know, another no-no :rolleyes: ) and it filled up to right below the second marker on the dipstick. I thought everything was good and drove back to college with the car about about 3,200 RPMs the entire 2 and a half hour drive. Since then I've been driving around campus a little and to the stores and such. Well yesterday I checked my oil and it is half the length of the two dots over the second marker! I guess we didn't wait long enough to check it after my engine cooled down. It makes me kind of angry because I told my dad he was putting too much in but there's not much I can do now. As far as I can tell it's still running fine but when I got up to around 4,000 RPMs accelerating on the highway it sounded kind of squirrely like it was sparking or clicking. Any suggestions on what I should do besides drain out the excess oil? Has anything been seriously damaged?

2. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, it's not good to overfill, definitely drain it out and refill it properly. Although I don't know that is what is causing the sounds. It sounds like a more serious problem. But the only way to know is to refill first.

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    *Just a warning* I'm no car mechanic, but I change my own oil...

How's your oil pressure doing? I don't know if there is a standard pressure, but I try to keep it between 50%-60% of the gauge (looks like 40-50 # whatever that number means...lbs. of pressure?) I'd just drain a little out. I don't think you did any serious damage, unless the pressure caused a leak or burst. If you're suspicious of anything, have a local shop give it a quick look-over.

:bassist:

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Most car engines are designed to tolerate some overfilling. Too much overfilling will allow the crankshaft to whip up the oil and cause foaming. If the foaming gets bad enough, the oil sump will suck up this sudsy oil, and instead of just straight oil being pumped through the filter and the oil galleries to the bearings and other lubrication points, you'll have a mixture of oil and air, which is bad for lubricating the engine. That could account for the knocking you hear.

5. rsgars

rsgars

Aug 6, 2003
    NY State
    When you checked the oil did you pull the stick, wipe it off, then put it back in? To get a proper reading you have to clean off the stick first, otherwise you are looking at a level that has been effected by the engine running and the oil sloshing around when you drive. If you are convinced there is too much, take some out at the earilest possible time. The extra oil is also putting undue pressure on your piston rings. Not something you want to happen for a long time.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    You may be a half quart overfull, which imo isn't enough to make or break anything.
    I'd rather see it overfull than underfull any day. You'd be amazed at the number of cars I get into the shop with no oil showing on the stick. I've seen cars coming in with the oil light on, no oil in it, and rattling like two skeletons having sex on a tin roof.

7. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    Since I fix cars for a living I will chime in here, half a quart overfill will do no harm. 1 and a half might. Sounds like your car is misfiring or pinging at higher speeds, a knock you would here at a lower speed usually when you accelerate.

8. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Yes I know how to check my oil but thank you though!

9. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Hmm ok thank all of you for your feedback, I'm happy to hear that my car should be all right.

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    play your car some nice music... it will help...

on other note... too much is not good.. low is BAD

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I echo Mike N's take here.

Your other noises are not from too much oil.

Oil containers are now recloseable, ( believe it or not,
    they did not used to be!) so when you open a new qt. or liter,
    you can pour and fill to the max and reclose the can.

Like Mike notes, many people NEVER check their oil.
    I check mine every weekend, 52 weeks a year on my
    cars, rain or shine, and check the basics, fluids like
    antifreeze, brake fluid level, and windshield washer fluid.

I put windshield low temp antifreeze in, in Nov 'cause
    it gets cold and frozen here early. So the window washer
    doesn't freeze with that crummy summer soap blend

20 mins a weekend on your car will be time well spent.
    And your Dad was right, your car needed oil. Be sure that
    you top it off next time you go home, and you can say,
    'It's OK dad, I just checked it and toped it off!'

Then, when he doesn't believe you, he will run out,
    when you are not looking, and check. He will be amazed
    that the oil is up.

You, of course, finish this total raise in your points by
    not making the ultimate gaff, and noticing that he did
    this. You win, this once, but he wins too. Go figure ...

:ninja:

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm paranoid, I keep it full, check it weekly. Same with coolant, battery (when I've had the open type) power steering, tire pressure, brake fluid. I even check the tread every month.

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm also paranoid with the oil, more so on the bike. The engine oil also lubricates the gearbox, clutch plates, and because the engine is air/oil cooled, helps keep my engine temperature where it should be. Run out of oil, and everything fails at the same time. ............ and no oil lights on the dash to warn me.

I swapped bikes with a mate once. He had a bike license test and prefered to use my bike because it was newer and more reliable. No problem, that's what are mates are for!....... until his bike siezed up on my while I was riding it home. No warning, 80KM/hour on a sweeping right hand bend, and the back wheel just locks up. I honestly don't know how I didn't crash. I somehow bought it to a stop safely and sure enough, no oil! That bike is now scrap metal.