Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help (computer problem - beyond me)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, May 10, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    My wife has a computer that she's had for 6 months or more without going online. She now needs web access for working from home, so we tried to get her online. We used an Earthlink disk from the mail and everything seemed okay. As soon as she was registered and online (it took her to the Earthlink homepage - we did not visit any other sites / pages) I began recommending to her that the very next thing she does should be to make sure the Anti virus software was working. While going through the Norton Anti Virus registration process, the computer came up with a pop up saying there was some sort of big scary error and everything will shut down in one minute. (we could not, and still can't complete the registration / installation process) The IT guy at work says that we probably picked up the sasser(?) worm. I know that we need to download patches and updates from microsoft, scan for the worm (on microsoft site) and get Norton up and running and scan with that - all of which require going online. As soon we connect to the internet - the system shuts down. The guy at work said he'd see if he could come up with some sort of offline anti virus program that I could use without connecting to the web… so far he's got nothing for me - does such a thing exist? Personally, I'm about ready to get "the computer hammer" out and fix it up real good. What really gets me is that we were online for about 3 minutes, never saw any web pages other than the Earthlink home page, she sent one email from her newly established email account that's it - now it's all messed up. We were online just long enough to register and establish billing for this service that we now cannot use. We don't know how to fix this. If it makes any difference, I believe the computer is called "E Machines" and seems to be loaded with windows NT along with their own proprietary software (I think) - for example I could not find the link to windows update under he start button, it has a program called "big fix" that tells you about what windows updates are available and takes you to the microsoft site to get them - of course as soon as it tries to connect everything will shut down in 60 seconds. Does Earthlink have some obligation to us here? (I think they do) The computer worked for many months - as soon as we used their disk to try and get online we got problems. Why are we paying them for internet service when we can't connect? I think they claim to have a 100% satisfaction guarantee, maybe I need to have her take this up with them. Of course, all I really want is to get it working for her - I just have no idea how. Any suggestions for me?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    download the patch copy to floppy or cd and bring to the infected machine.
    Sasser is a network virus, no email or clicking needed. someone with sasser scanned your IP while online briefly and planted it's seed.

At least they caught the kid and he's old enough to torture :mad:

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    ...well, the only way I can download the patch would be from here at work, I guess that would be good because the IT guys here could help me as I don't really know how to do that(I'll need to get a disk from them anyway) ...but when I get home, I won't know what to do with it. (I barely know how to use a computer) I'm not even sure about having the sasser worm - does that sound like what I have going on?

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    …and by the way, why do these worms exist? Is this something that some morbidly obese, acne laden geek who doesn't go outside and has never touched a woman does to get his kicks from some bizarre feeling of empowerment based on the fact that he can essentially render my machine useless, just because I'm not as savvy as him in regards to computer technology? Does this make these little #%$&@*'s chuckle and think they're cool. Because I know for a fact that I could beat this creep literally to death. :mad:

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    basically
    :meh:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040509/ap_on_hi_te/germany_computer_worm_12

6. Sasser is easy to get rid of. First of all, stay off line initially. Ctrl-Alt-Delete to pull up your task manager. Click the Processes tab. Look for avserve.exe, avserve2.exe, and *_up.exe. (* is a wild card, this will actually could be any string of numbers/letters) End these processes. Go to My Computer and open your C drive. Now open the Windows folder. Look for avserve.exe or avserve2.exe and delete it. Now open the System32 folder that is there in the Windows folder you are in. Open System32 folder and look for *_up.exe. Delete it. You just got rid of the virus.

Now enable your built in XP firewall. Click on the little network connection icon on the right side of your toolbar and choose the open up the "open ...." choice it gives you. In this window you will find a button or link about firewall or security, can't remember. Click this and then check the box that says firewall active or something to that effect. This will enable a built in minimal firewall. Now, logon and visit Microsoft. Somewhere on their page will be an updates link. Let it search your computer for critical updates and let them all load. This will patch the existing security flaw that let Sasser come to your castle as well as other things.

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thanks, Baba! I just printed that out and I'll give it a try tonight.

8. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Stop being a target - buy a Mac. ;)

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yeah. Of course most software won't run on it, but you won't be getting any of these nasty viruses either.

Of course, if Mac's were 95% of the worlds OS's, then virus writers would target them too. ;)

10. Touche. (did I spell that correctly?:D )

11. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    True. By that time though, we will have intelligent systems implanted in our brains.

12. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yeah, but there is a symbol over the "e".

Come to think of it, I don't know why Mac users want so many people to switch, when it would just cause them to be so popular that they would then have to worry about viruses too...and then what would the benefit be in having that OS?

Windows has the problems it does because most of the world uses it. For all the problems with Windows, people tend to forget that all the other wonderful OS's out there do not even have enough users to qualify.

Sure Linux is great, sure Macs are great. Have 95% of the world use one of them (with all of the different software and hardware Windows can use, combined with all of the user caused problems that go along with being that popular)...then get back to me on how wonderful they are. :D

[EDIT] - I can see why Macs are so stable. There isn't much running on them. I see PC's everyday that have up to 100 (or more) applications installed on them. And alot of those apps are not even compatible with each other...much less being compatible with the OS. But most just blame Microsoft.

If you program a single application...that only you use yourself...on a machine that it was written for...that has no other apps on, how many problems would you have? How much error trapping would need to be done?

Now have that same app be used by 95% of the world, with all of the variables (i.e.- combinations of hardware, software and users thrown into the mix). Think you'd still have the perfect app?

Makes me laugh. Yes, things could be better, and in a perfect world they would be. But I have yet to see the world convert over to anything else. Must be that Billy is putting some subliminal messages up on everyone's desktop. :D :D :D

13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

Uh, yeah... Please note - Her computer.

I'm just trying to score points by fixing it for her. I don't know whether I should be ashamed or proud to say that I do not currently, nor have I ever owned a computer of my own. In fact, aside from a few hours on the Apple II-E in the 3rd grade (this was well before Al Gore invented teh internet ;) )and what I described here in my first post with the wife's PC - I've really never touched a computer without being paid. :smug:

14. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    True, Windoze is a more attractive target due to its large installation base. Nonetheless, I don't think you would find many security professionals who would disagree that M$ makes it pretty easy for the virus-writers and others. Bloated, feature-rich code insufficiently audited is a recipe for disaster.

Still better. *NIX systems designed from the ground up to offer secure, multi-user environments.

BeOS? ;)

15. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    It isn't just a matter of being easier. It's a matter of "mattering". Why would a virus writer waste his/her time on an OS that only a handful of the world's population uses?

I am an IT professional. Most of my clients have very diverse needs that only MS can handle.

As far as the original poster's question, follow baba's advice and make sure your anti-virus software is up-to-date. It's only as good as the virus definitions you get downloaded into it.

16. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Hello, I have not read through all of this so this may be redundant.

To abort the shutdown open a command window (from the 'run...' option on the Start Menu select run', then type 'cmd' and press enter).

Then, from the command window, type 'shutdown -a', which will abort the automated shutdown.

Best of luck to you.

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    this is a good post, but very few people will let it sink in.

18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Not redundant. I'll be printing this and taking it home with me, along with Baba's advice.

19. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Why indeed.

I have problems with the phrase "that only MS can handle" but I really don't want to derail Matthew's thread too much more. ;)

20. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI

Meaning that my client's proprietary software was not written for anything other than a Microsoft operating system, and the technical suport for their proprietary software will not support them if it is not on a Microsoft OS.

I have hundreds of business clients that range from dog kennels to auto garages to dentists and doctors, to village and city governments to manufacturing facilities to colleges, to accountants, to financial planners, etc. They all have specific needs and specific software that you can't buy off the shelf that Mac's and/or Linux cannot address.