PLEASE HELP? diferenece between line out and mike the amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuno A., Jun 24, 2002.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    Hello everybody.
    I would like to ask you guys out there something....
    In a live situation whats better, mike your amp or use the line out???
    And what are the diferences between these 2 situations?
    All explanations are welcome.
    Thanks a lot in advance.

2. Hmmm, line out takes the feed from the amp - this signal goes into te mixing desk to be processed and mixed then goes to front of house.

Using a mic in front of the speaker brings into play the nuances of both the speakers your using and the characteristics of the mic.

Different people prefer different techniques!!!!
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Through many direct outs, you can either bypass your EQ or route through it. Often, the soundguy in live situations will prefer to run your bass straight into a DI box, then into the amp, with an unprocessed signal going into the board. That gives him more control over the tone and volume. Micing the amp allows you to project to the board the sound you are intending to put out through your rig. To be honest, all mics are different and the board can still change your tone, so it's still not going to be exactly what you're hearing through your rig.

Given the option, for recording, go with AllodoX's advice and mix both. Some tracks come out better one way or the other or even blended.

For live, given the optimal equipment, I'll go just mic'ed unless the sound guy is working for ME and not the venue. I like to have all the tone control, I don't want him eq'ing my signal after it's sent. If I can completely trust the board operator, I will let him take my post eq'd direct signal and not bother with the mics. But then it all depends on the gig too. Room size, etc.

We all have our preferences.
  4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    heres my rig in a while... and the mics.

Gallien Krueger 400 RB head as preamp (direct line)
    Carvin DCM1000
    ch 1- Avatar 2x10 (SM57 mic)
    ch 2- Yamaha 1x18 PA sub (AKG D112 mic)

that would cover everything. i wouldnt use direct line much, as i love the sound of that rig. i just need the Yamaha and the Carvin now...:rolleyes:

that got a bit off topic, but that shows you how i would run my rig to the recording board or live i think. a big hassle but worth it.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, usually it's vice versa...
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I agree with JMX--it's usual to have more high end.

One of two things could be happening:

1. You may have a funky DI box.

2. A good DI actually gives you more true lows, which you could misinterpret as having less treble, even though you actually don't.

3. You may have your amp set to radically accentuate treble, so that it's making the bass sound much brighter than it truly is *in itself*. If the DI reproduces then only what your bass is actually sending it, then it may sound as if treble is lost, when it may be more a case of your amp adding treble that wasn't there to begin with.
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My guess is that there is an impedance mismatch due to misconfiguration or another fault.

DI gives you a more linear signal.

When micing, you loose high and low end, because of the limited frequency range of the speakers and of the mic.