Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please Help, Epifani, Qsc, Demeter Rig-bridged

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wayne Morton, May 4, 2001.

1. Greetings,

Can anyone help? I'm using a QSC 2402 in bridged mode with a Demeter pre-amp, pushing an Epifani 310. Last week-end I blew my 3-10's on a gig and I really dont know why. (seperating the cones from the speakers) I was playing at a medium/high volume. I was running my QSC wide open and the Demeter at about 12:00. I've ordered 3 new 10's to replace, but I'm affraid of blowing them again! Matt, at Epifani said they should be able to take it w/no problem running in bridged....

Please advise, Thankyou.......

Wayne Morton

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You put 2400 watts RMS into a cabinet that's rated at 600 watts RMS :eek: Hmm, let's think about this :)

In general, you CAN drive speakers at about 2 times the RMS rating if you are careful about not allowing distortion or sudden transients (like unplugging the bass while the amp is on, etc.). This is how an experienced pro sound guy would operate.

Depending on your playing style, you may have been pushing a LOT more power out of the amp than you thought (even the Epifani spec says 1800 watts PEAK which your amp can provide without breathing hard). Were there any warning signs (i.e. audible distortion indicating speaker fatigue or amp clipping)?

These days with these new cabinets that people crank kilowatts into, you need to be a little more careful than when using only a few hundred watts. Because they sound so good and get so loud for their size, we act as if the laws of physics got repealed.

3. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    If you were running the QSC wide open wouldnt you be clipping? If so, that could blow up your speakers.

4. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I agree with Brainroast.

Check the rear pannel of the QSC the section of dip switches. Were you useing the clip limiter, low frequency limiters. Not that any of these settings may prevent what you have described as an abusive situation. Yet they may have helped.

Why did you bridge the amp?

5. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Try replacing your band... they must play too loud if you are blowing that cab..

jc

6. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    No doubt!
    Thats the cab I have and it handles ALOT

7. Thanks to all, for your responce! (although I dont think I'll be replacing this band as I'm fortunately, working w/seasoned pros, a jazz, blues, funk, quartet) We very seldom
    play loud on stage, but I was pushing the vol. pretty heavy the night I blew my speaks. I realize now what I did wrong, I was playing with my fingers and started slapping, which caused the amp to clip badly. I do use the clip limiter and low freq. filters on the amp. I'm running in bridged because thats what QSC and Epifiani recommended. Also, I was told that
    I should always run the amp wide open and use the pre-amp for vol setting. Is this true?

I think this was some great advise;

Depending on your playing style, you may have been pushing a LOT more power out of the amp
    than you thought (even the Epifani spec says 1800 watts PEAK which your amp can provide
    without breathing hard). Were there any warning signs (i.e. audible distortion indicating speaker
    fatigue or amp clipping)?

These days with these new cabinets that people crank kilowatts into, you need to be a little
    more careful than when using only a few hundred watts. Because they sound so good and get
    so loud for their size, we act as if the laws of physics got repealed.

I did have warning signs as I clipped the amp a few diferent times. My new speakers arrived today and I'm thinking maybe I shouldnt run in bridged???

Thanks again.........