Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help, Fender Serial # ID

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, at practice tonight when I went to the front of the store to use the restroom, I noticed a killer Jazz bass hanging on the wall, it was a restring job for a girl that is a customer there. WOW, this thing is DEAD MINT, looks like it just came from the factory! The Serial number is A037369, and was wondering if anyone could ID this for me, as I am thinking about offering to buy it, but want to know what year it is. It is MIJ, and a 3 bolter. Thanks in advance!

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    A 3 bolt? it also has neck binding, block inlays, and bullet truss rod....

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    cut and pasted:

A + 6 Digits = 1985 - 1986

Crafted In Japan A + 6 Digits = 1997 - 1998

I copied that from Vintage-bass. By going with this info, you have to look for either the 'made in japan' or 'crafted in japan' decals.
    So, if it says 'made in japan' on the face of the headstock, then it would be the mid 80's model. If it has the 'crafted in japan' on the back of the neck near the heel, then it's the late 90's model.

Sounds like this thing was a '75 reissue?

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    According to Mr. Gearhead, and The Bass Book, A, B, or C with six digits is 1985-86.
    However, The Bass Book also states:
    "Fender Japan have confirmed evidence that certain series have been used beyond the production spans listed above, in particular the A-, C-, and G- prefixed numbers. This underlies the need for caution when dating by using serial numbers."

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thank you, BTW, this was an incredible Jazz bass!