1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please Help for buying a headless bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassprof, Jan 6, 2017.

1. bassprof

bassprof

Jan 25, 2016
    Hi.
    I want to buy a 6 strings headless bass. I like the high-end basses. It must be comfortable and light weight. I saw a MARUSZCZYK Paddock 6A by reverb.com. What do you think about this bass, have you ever played this bass?
    Thanks for your help.

MARUSZCZYK Paddock 6A Headless

2. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Never heard of that brand, but I have had several headless basses before. One of the big advantages of headless designs in general are super easy and quick string changes with double-ball strings, although finding locally stocked double-ball 6-string bass sets will be pretty much impossible, I suspect. You can get them online from places like Status Graphite, but you'll never find them in stock in a music store.

Given that, I would suggest you make sure that bass can use standard strings with an adapter (hopefully included), and if you plan on using DB ones then stock up!

3. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    The bass is a Neuser Cliffhanger 6-string.

4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    ^^^That would definitely be my advice too: Find the set of strings you love and then buy a dozen sets! You don't ever want to be caught out on the road or in the studio (or, frankly, anywhere) and realize you can't use your bass as intended. My only headless bass is a 4-string (original Steinberger L-2) which is comparatively easy to find string sets for, and I still make sure I always have two sets in the case and two more at home, just to be prepared...because even those strings aren't available everywhere all the time.

5. AndreasR

AndreasR

Oct 23, 2012
    I'd love to own a Maruszczyk. They really are great feeling and sounding instruments. Though I haven't touched a paddock specifically.

Sadly I can't really justify the cost right now. But if you can buy one, do it.

bassprof likes this.
  6. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    If you add two more strings you can get an N/S Stick.
    [017097].

imabuddha likes this.
  7. bassprof

bassprof

Jan 25, 2016
    Hi,
    I checked the Status Basses but I don't like the tone character of the headless. You can check these page, the page shared the Paddock Headless as forsale.
    Maruszczyk Custom Basses. (@maruszczykturkey) • Instagram photos and videos

8. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    I have not yet played a Paddock and I personally prefer the body shape of the Frog. However, as I own 3 custom Maruszczyk basses, I cannot recommend them enough.

One is a headless frog. The main advantages of the headless construction are even tones all over the fretboard, no dead spots and easy handling. Mine is actually a medium scale bass. Here it is.

20160930_082725.

ThinCrappyTone and bassprof like this.