Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please, help for G&L radios

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pantografo64, Jun 23, 2001.

1. Hi everybody,
    I'm on a very bad mood:
    Just purchased a new G&L L-2000, BTW because of some custom options I waited it 4 months and half.
    Well I loved the bass in the shop, I tested it through two different rigs.

At home just plugged in and I have one, two, even 4 different radio stations, all together (but no hum).

I tried different cables of every footage, a new battery, every switch positions and tones set-up: always there is the problem with the SAME intensity.
    I don't think it's an amp fault, never happened with other basses, I even tried with my hi-fi and nothing has changed.
    Here in my studio, 1 mile away, apparently it's ok ...
    I read all the past threads about the problem and its solutions: shielding kit, bad IC preamp, etc., but it's enough?

On monday I'll be back to the shop of course but I want to keep the bass.

Any suggestion to solve the problem?
    Thanks.

2. I'm sorry to hear that about your new bass. Are you talking about a constant hissing sound?
    I had a problem like that with my Yamaha TRB5. I was told that the bridge pickup just hisses. I can understand how a problem with a bass can be upsetting. Anyway, good luck and hope you get your problem fixed!

3. No Alexssandro,
    there's no hiss or hum, just radio: music, talk, ads ...

4. Jeeze does it pick up howard stern?

5. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hi Panto,

My G&L does the same thing. I rehearse at 2 spaces and one is by some radio towers. That space seems to be more conducive to radio signals. I find that by putting the bass in passive mode, that eliminates any radio signals. At my other rehearsal space, there are no weird sounds.

But it's all moot anyway. I'm looking to get rid of my G&L 2000. It must be me... I just cannot dial in a decent sound on that thing. It's driving me nuts!

Gwon

6. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I have never of that before.

Are you sure it isn't a custom feature? Built in radio ;)

7. well this is actually very easy and many reviews actually comment they had to do this. go to your local repair shop and have them shield everything. i don't know why g&l doesn't do this but hey its not terribly expensive anyway i don't think.

8. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    Yeah it is the shielding, both of mine used to do that

9. You would think G&L would have done something about that problem, as I've heard about the effects of their shielding problems from different people. About a year ago, I was seriously considering a G&L, but because of a clearly audible hiss I heard on 2 different basses, I decided not to go with them. It's a shame cause I really liked the sound and feel of it. Well, at least it's easily repairable!

10. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I've never had this problem with my L-2000, and I play three feet away from a radio.

11. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    My L-2500 was as quiet as a mouse.

Radio station reception often means a bad solder joint - I'd be looking at every connection, possibly desoldering at some key locations and interactively testing the result in an area that usually results in radio play, to diagnose the problem.

12. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I've never experienced hiss or radio signals with my G&L's, not even once.

I wonder if it has as much to do with your location as it does the bass.

:confused:

13. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    for practice, I play my G&L 2500 next two a Carvin 1018 stack, a Marshal and two other combos plus my 500w RMS Kenwood hi-fi setup - never a prob. Wherever else I played it, the same. No hiss, no radios. I'd check for loose/cold solder.

14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    My friend just recently had this problem with his Squier Strat guitar. He called me up to ask me how/why he had country music coming through his amp. It seems that he could also improve his reception by lifting his arm in the air and waving it over his head. I didn't know exactly what to tell him, so I just said, "Why not just try to play along with what you hear?" ;)

15. Thanks everybody for your answers.

Anyway, yesterday I gigged with this beast and I had no radio [and most important the sound with all the band was good].
    I have to say that back at home I received radio stations only in active modes.
    Please believe me that saturday it did it ALSO in passive mode ...

16. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I have the same problem with my L2500 plug into SWR Redhead, I could hear radio station while gigging, further I have the hiss too.
    I had the same problem with my Warwick Thumbbolt too. I think it is because of poor shielding of the electronic of the bass.

17. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    MY G&L L-2500 has picked up some chatter a couple of times. I actually think that at least once it was a cordless telephone that I was hearing. I only caught one side of the conversation. I was curious at the time and did a little experimenting. I was using a nylon braided cable (not a rubber one) and when I switched to rubber it was far less audible. When I switched to my uhf wireless, it was completely gone. My thoughts were either the wireless has some sort of filter to clean it up or the cable was acting as the antenna for the radio station. It was pretty funny actually.

IT is really not that uncommon. I have seen SS amps pick up radio signals without guitars even plugged in. It happens.

Chas

18. Just phoned to the shop owner: we agree a total shielding job is needed.
    We have choosen the best (and expensive) luthier-repairman of my country and the salted bill will go direct to the kind importer.

I think I'll ask something for gasoline to reach the shop.
    Do you think a string set is enough?