1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please help - GK MB500 vs. MB800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djaxup, Jul 30, 2012.

1. apart from the obvious - more power on the MB800 - both have some differences, and I'd be happy if someone could point them out for me. I can see the data sheets, but how do the differences (channel a/b with seperate volumes vs. switch etc..., discrete FET...) play out in the real world?

I'm trying to decide if the 200 bucks more are really worth it.

Cab will be either Mesa 115/410 powerhouse/diesel or one 810 ampeg.

Thanks in advance

2. The volume difference is minuscule. If the rest of the differences in features add up to being worth $200 to you, then its worth it.

As far as cab pairings, if those are your only two options I would say 810 all the way. With out question it will be the better cab.

3. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    For my part, when I play and get dialed in I'm done for the night. If I need an over-the-top O.D. for say, a Mountain tune, I have one powered with a DC Brick. I never have found a need for channel-switching as a bass player... but I'm one of many here...

I've played the MB(2) 500: It's enough power to make my head swim, and I've found the sound to be great, as well as broad-ranging! It's a slammin' head for reggae- gets a ton of deep lows, as well as snap and some good snarl up top. But I digress.

All that said, I've never played the 800. I'm afraid of that one... :p

4. thanks so far. I think it's the MB500 then. Can the Ampeg reproduce that mean GK clank without having a horn? I always wondered about that.

5. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    eq on the amp, tone knob on your bass, how you attack, and strings... also keeping the Boost pulled back will help.

6. Funny you mention this, but I had mid 70's svt and 810, and even added a tweeter with attenuator, simple resistor for crossover, and much to my dismay, it was just like my speaker repair tech (whom I bought parts from against his advice), it jst didn't make much of an audible difference.

I always kept a gk around for backup, and after several years after ampeg then eden, went back to gk's just for that "mean clank" you mentioned....it never "disappears" in the mix (unless I roll tone knob back) like the other amps seemed to for me

that being said, many awesome tones and sounds came from that ampeg (as well as the edens), and I think the hi or treble switch had to be engaged on the svt to get closeer, but to me th gks have always done it best, and easiest.....including the MB500 I use mostly now

7. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Echoing garagebassman here, and if this is relevant, the sound of your bass/amp solo'd, might be a bit "in your face and ugly", but that brash edge may blend right into where it needs to be in a band mix.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have both amps and prefer the 800. Is it worth the $200... up to you. The extra power at 8 ohms is noticeable to me. Plus it has the shiny light thingies!

9. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I can't believe the power available nowadays. That little MB(2) 500 can make my brain rattle more than it already does...

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Can you graft wings onto a tree sloth, and train it to fly like a hummingbird? Can you adopt a 10-foot adult alligator, and get it to curl up in your lap like a kitten? :rolleyes:

Dude, it's an Ampeg. It's always gonna have that Ampeg muddy grunt...because that's what an Ampeg does! :eyebrow:

If you want the GK sound, well....you can fill in the blank.

MM

11. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    True. It's a compromise no matter what you do... which is the sound that comes to the front of your mind when you aren't thinking about it so hard? Get that one, and tweak as desired/needed.