1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please Help...having a problem with my acoustic fretless.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mr. eff, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Well I bought this bass today(Apllause a/e fretless, and was changing the strings. The little plastic piece that raises the string from the bridge slipped out, and I didn't see what way it went in. The riser(not sure what its called) is a little taller on one side. Should the taller side be under the "G" string, or the "E" string? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. High side goes under the G string, okay!

This keeps the string height even on acoustics!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Thats the way I ended putting it back on but i still hear this little buzz...and its fretless!:bawl:

4. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Actually, it's the opposite. The E string has to be higher above the fingerboard than the G string. Maybe you misunderstood the question, Treena. :)

5. You are wrong, it goes under G.... the high side!

I have an acoustic bass and you are just plain wrong!

Here's the bridge, and it gets larger under the G string, I'm ceratin, I have the bass!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Treena, you mean the G string have higher action than the E? Or maybe I misunderstood the question... :confused:

7. No, the piece of bone, that fits into the bridge, is higher on the G string side then on the E string side.

I believe this helps off set the string height but, it's not the same on all my ABG.

I have noticed, that this is different, from each acoustic manufacturer.:meh:

Now I'm getting confused here. :eek:

I have a Martin ABG, a Guild ABG and I own 2 Martin acoustic 6 strings. The bridge bone seems be raised on the G string side on both the basses but not the 6 strings.....:confused:

[​IMG]

Anyone else care to contribute to my mess?

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. See this bridge.:meh:

Higher on the G string side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. doh.

:D:D

Merls