Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help, I am losing hope!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superfly, Nov 19, 2004.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I need help. I am looking for a combo setup. It has to be a combo because I need the portablity. I am a former drummer who knows the hassles of carrying around and setting up loads of gear. I don't want the hassle anymore. I am still a student bassist, but I plan to be playing at my small-med sized Church within 6 months.

I have bought and returned the following..

Fender Rumble 100- ok sound, don't like the funky red lights, seems like a cheap build quality.

Ibanez SW amp, yuckkkk, rattles

SWR wm 15 (new model) - just doesn't cut it. Cheap Fender build quaility, and rattley chassis.

(2) Ampeg B100R- farts out too easy, 1 of them had a rattle in the face plate.

All of these were NEW just out of the box.
    I can't believe the poor workmanship and the lousy way these combos are put together.
    Am I being too picky? I can't stand it when you pluck a string, and the amp cab rattles or buzzes. I've tried a few seperate amp cab seperates, but I don't want the hassle of more gear. I need portability, but something that is built well. I probably need to spend more $$ ?
    The problem with trying other brands like Yorkville or Ashdown is I can't seem to find anyone who has one on their showroom. I really don't want to mail order without trying one. I live in So California if anyone has some suggestions, or knows where I can find something. :)

2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    In my opinion, the Ampeg B100R is the best combo amplifier in the market. I've never had one "fart out" and I run my Lakland with really hot Barts through it.

For a rattling face-plate, I'd simply put a layer of velcro tape between the face-plate and the amp. I'd also make sure everything is screwed in really well.

Also, you have to watch the type of floor you are dealing with. Remember, we are talking about a BASS here, there are going to be a lot of heavy vibrations. So, having the amp rest upon a hard floor may create a lot of rattling. I would recommend putting a piece of carpet underneath all of the feet.

My school's B100R has lasted since the birth of its jazz program. Almost every class we have TWO basses running through it at the same time. It has never "farted out", ever (one of the bassists has a bass that most gain I have ever heard (Hamer CruiseBass), even with his and mine plugged in, we have no problems.). My personal feeling is that you are doing something wrong or you are try to "over-equalize".

Don't turn up the gain too high, don't press the "Ultra-Bass" button and turn up the Bass all the way. If you have ever heard Phil Jackson (I think that's his name) on Herbie Hancock's classic album "Head Hunters", you can hear the problem with trying to over-equalize. But also, that was his thing, he liked to sound really, really raw.

Please forgive my giving of unsolicited advice.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    take a look at the BAM from Peavey, or the Metro from Eden. Quite a bit more expensive than what you have been buying so far, but those are awesome combos. You get what you pay for, and the Peavey/Eden combos will NOT disappoint.

-Mike

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I don't agree. I suggest you try the following:

SWR Super Redhead
    Eden Metro
    Peavey BAM
    SWR Baby Blue II
    Ashdown ABM Combos
    Aguilar AG Combos
    EA iAMP Combos

There are a host of others that are an entire class above the Ampeg B100R, these are just the ones off the top of my head.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What's your price range?

6. From my expierence, GK has some sweet little combo that's 100 watt, and it's tiny!!!

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes, Ampeg B100r is crazy awesome. I used one for about a year and a half, until today when i just got a new amp (making my Ampeg for sale....)

8. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Peavey Bam 210.

Awesome amp, which can be had for a steal :ninja: these days. They are going anywhere from $500.00-$650.00.

Incredible power, tone and portability.

9. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
  10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Check out the Ashdown thread(s) that are current for Ashdown info. I just bought an Ashdown amp and its great. I definitely have much faith in the company.

11. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I found a local shop that has some Ashdown MAG combos. I'll check em out tommorrow. Any coments on the MAG combos?

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Have never heard an Ashdown cab in person but the amp/heads are nice, so im assuming the combos are good.

13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I really like my G-K1001RB 2-10" combo. It's easy to transport and is surprisingly loud IMO.

14. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Superfly.....Lets change thought modes and build one for you......
    Lets get your amp problem solved with a rack mountable Amp such as Ampeg (or another brand if your into taking risks). Then for the cabinet, we will go (Dr. Bass) who makes what they call, "air heads". These are cabinets in 2x10, 1x12 or 1x15 configurations that have a rack space on top (built in) so you need only to lock down your favorite rack amp and your done. Tone to the Bone! Why you ask? Because they load their Dr. Bass cabs with the same or similar Eminence speakers as Ampeg but a lot less $. Another plus is that Dr. Bass cabs are very, very light and coated with a Polymer coating that looks badass! Just a unique perspective....

15. i decided to give up on combos myself. now what I'm looking forward to trying is a XS400H head with a 1x15 cab and seeing if i like thatb (250 w/8ohms. and if that doesn't work, it's just back to the basement's ghetto rig (peavey TKO65)...

16. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    I say it all the time, but this is a special occassion!

Marshall B150 - Superior build quality, superior customer service, and as I actually own one and have had it for a year, it is still solid as a rock!

It weighs a bit, but your an ex drummer so there is no worry there! ;)

I insist you try one out!

just my opinion however! :ninja:

17. From what I am reading i do not think the amps are defective, especially the B100R. check out the nemises combos. i would still do a mail order deal. ashdown head and dr. bass or avatar cab. you can't boost the bass on everything play hard and expect it to sound good.

no offense, but it sounds like your playing technique would make any rig distort.
    this is a nice little combo you should throw in the back seat and try out. THe 115 or 210s are awesome.

http://www.eden-electronics.com/nemesis/indiv/nc810.asp

18. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    what about the Roland db700?

19. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I just tried out the ashdown mag 15" and the 210 version 300 watts. Both seemed very underpowered for 300 watts. And both seemed cheaply built. next.....