Please Help, I know nothing about amplification

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vegaas, Apr 9, 2003.

1. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Hey Guys,
    I am buying an amplifier and cabinet. I play in an alt-metal band. We gig about once a month.
    If I buy a 4x10 cabinet, will that give me enough low end, or do I still need a 1 x 15?
    Any help at all is appreciated.
  2. My first real cab was an old Boogie 2x15 road cabinet. I loved it, but I loved the punch of the 4x10 more. I guess it depends on your taste, what kind of head, and what kind of cabinet. Your a ways away from me, but I'm getting rid of my PR410HLF if your interested. I never really felt the need for a 15 to go along with it, (but I always wish I could have kept the 2x15 and bi-amped them at every gig just for total domination)
  3. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Thanks for the help,
    Who makes the PR410 you are selling, and how much do you want for it?
    Also, in your opinion, which is the better buy for a head, the SWR 750 for around 700 or the Mesa/Boogie M2000 for around 900.
  4. I'd go with the M2k. I use it's cousin the M-Pulse 600. The M2K has 2 channels, and a little more "tweakability". You'll probably have to play with it to find "your sound" but whatever you want out of it, you can get it. I'm not a SWR fan at all, but that's just me. I play at my church, and help out at another one, and they both use SWR.... I much prefer my Boogie!

The PR410HLF is the Pro Series from Ampeg. It retails new for $1399.
  5. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards the Mesa. Not sure exactly what I want yet. Trying to get decent amp and cabinet for below 1500.
    Looking for all the deals I can find.
  6. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Ok guys, if I go with the Mesa M2000 amp,
    which cab would be the better buy,

Avatar b212 for about 300.00 (2 12's and a tweeter)

Golliath 111 with 4x10 for about 500

NOS Ampeg SVT410 with horn for about 450.00

Hartke 2200XL Pro, 2x12, 2x1 for about 500.00

Hartke 4.5XL 4x10 1x5 for about 600.

Let me know, thanks.
  7. Sorry, can't help you with any of those. The closest thing I know about is the Ampeg and actually, I've only heard the PR not the SVT.

Although I think if you can swing it, you might be better off spening just a tad more for the Bergantino! If you can't try to buy something used, that you can get your money out of, in case you want to change later.

Just my stupid thoughts!