1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please help! I need to hire 2 double basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Ruth, Mar 12, 2001.

1. Ruth

Ruth

Mar 12, 2001
    I play in the Hounslow Symphony Orchestra, West London, U.K.

We have an exchange orchestra coming over from Lyon, France in about 3 weeks time.

They are bringing 2 double bass players but NOT their instruments.

Therefore I need to hire 2 double basses! I have tried Normans and they said "no". I have tried the local music for schools service and they also said "no - none left".

Does anyone have any ideas? We are quite happy to pay a fee and help with transportation, if necessary.

Many thanks in advance.

Ruth

2. Ruth, i once enquired about a new bass from DJM music? (i think) and they had a rent to buy scheme, maybe worth a try.

3. ChrisRae

ChrisRae

Jan 25, 2001
    North Wales, UK
    Ruth,
    Try one of the London orchestras. They probably have a music in schools liason person. My brother plays Bass in the RSNO and is involved in a lot of projects in schools.
    Let me know if you don't have any luck. My brother studied in London and may?? have some contacts.

Good luck :)

Chris

4. Ruth

Ruth

Mar 12, 2001
    Thanks for the suggestions - I will follow these up.

Cheers, Ruth

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Right, I've only ever played a db round a mates about 10 years ago, been playing electric for about 12 years and fancied hiring a db for a few months just to see if I enjoyed playing about with it?

I've searched the web high and low, emailed a few places and I cant find anywhere that hires out dbs on anything other than a daily basis at about £50 a day!!!

Does anyone know of anywhere in the south east in england, ideally Berkshire, Oxfordshire way, that will do this for a reasonable price?
    ta

6. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    An extra train ticket (TGV + Eurostar) plus appropriate cab booking in Paris and London could do the trick. It's easier to take your bass with you on a train than on a plane. Appropriate insurance would help too. Might end up cheaper than renting.

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
  8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    cheers CS, I found place yesterday actually, the only one that came back to me. the guy restores, sells and hires. he sayd he has about 30 of which i can huire for a period of 4 months for between £50 to £100. not bad for a trial huh!

if anyone wants the details PM me.