Please help! I need to hire 2 double basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Ruth, Mar 12, 2001.

1. Ruth

Mar 12, 2001
    I play in the Hounslow Symphony Orchestra, West London, U.K.

We have an exchange orchestra coming over from Lyon, France in about 3 weeks time.

They are bringing 2 double bass players but NOT their instruments.

Therefore I need to hire 2 double basses! I have tried Normans and they said "no". I have tried the local music for schools service and they also said "no - none left".

Does anyone have any ideas? We are quite happy to pay a fee and help with transportation, if necessary.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Ruth, i once enquired about a new bass from DJM music? (i think) and they had a rent to buy scheme, maybe worth a try.
  3. ChrisRae

Jan 25, 2001
    North Wales, UK
    Try one of the London orchestras. They probably have a music in schools liason person. My brother plays Bass in the RSNO and is involved in a lot of projects in schools.
    Let me know if you don't have any luck. My brother studied in London and may?? have some contacts.

Good luck :)

4. Ruth

Mar 12, 2001
    Thanks for the suggestions - I will follow these up.

Cheers, Ruth
  5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Right, I've only ever played a db round a mates about 10 years ago, been playing electric for about 12 years and fancied hiring a db for a few months just to see if I enjoyed playing about with it?

I've searched the web high and low, emailed a few places and I cant find anywhere that hires out dbs on anything other than a daily basis at about £50 a day!!!

Does anyone know of anywhere in the south east in england, ideally Berkshire, Oxfordshire way, that will do this for a reasonable price?
  6. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    An extra train ticket (TGV + Eurostar) plus appropriate cab booking in Paris and London could do the trick. It's easier to take your bass with you on a train than on a plane. Appropriate insurance would help too. Might end up cheaper than renting.
  7. CS

Dec 11, 1999
  8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    cheers CS, I found place yesterday actually, the only one that came back to me. the guy restores, sells and hires. he sayd he has about 30 of which i can huire for a period of 4 months for between £50 to £100. not bad for a trial huh!

if anyone wants the details PM me.