1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please help ID pickups & Pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FunkHead, Apr 3, 2013.

1. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Cheers: I'm hoping to Figure out what these pickups are. I was told when I bought the bass that they were 70's Fender's The wires are white & Grey. The wire connecting the two P'ups is blue. Thanks for any Help.
    DSC00975. DSC00973. DSC00971. DSC00970. DSC00969. DSC00966.

2. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Nope. Not Fender wire (which looks original and untouched as far as the solder goes), not CTS pots and P pickup pole pieces don't stick out that much. I'm reasonably sure nothing in that pic is Fender from any era.

3. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks, Does that include Squier?

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Pots look allot like my MIJ Squiers do.

Ha..alright me old eyes are good still :p. all of my MIJ 83-84; have those pots and the P bass pups look like that. The Squier Bullet has Mustanfg type pups. My MIK P is way different with tiny thin wiring and the pups have the magnet bar on the bottome like affinity pups do.

5. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks BB,
    The bass they are in is a 1984 Squier Bullet so the Pots may be original.

6. The pots look a bit like my Squier E series Jazz bass 1984-7.

Davo

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Here's the wiring in a '72 Fender Mustang

mustang.

mustang_pup.

So Fender did use yellow, black, and white PVC insulated wire at times.

But I don't know if those are Fender parts either. The pots look Asian.

8. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks everyone, Any other guesses on the pickups?? It looks to me like they may be Stew-Macs. The Pots are definitely original Squiers.

9. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    My MIK Squiers 87' bullet and two late 90's Squier IIs have mini pots and thin wiring...nothing like that.

10. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Me ol' eyes are still good afterall :p Yes those are MIJ pots and the pups I'm not sure could be MIJ pups. I would have to crack open one of mine to see.
    The MIK have tiny cheapo pots and thin wire. They aslo have pups that have the magnet on the bottom (bar) like the cheaper affinity pups. I think the pups are MIJ also but the pots are for sure.

11. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks again sir. The Pups sound great. Basically Fender P-Bass copy and possibly MIJ Squier.

12. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Cool! Love the MIJ pups they sound as good as my 70's basses sounded and remind me of the 62' RI fenders. I would never swap them out of my MIJ P basses.

13. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    IMO anything From Fender Japan is great. I've owned dozens. My MIJ P-bass RI has slightly lower power but still sounds amazing. I'm contemplating putting a set of Delanos in that one.

14. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    The MIJ pups I have are not massive output but that is what I like anyhow in my pups. I'm an old school thumper and groover and play passive P basses with flats. I hate hot pups in any of my basses so they work great for me.

15. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    That makes sense. I have a Blues show to play this month and was thinking of using the RIC. Maybe I'll use the P-Bass instead. I'll definitely use it for the one rehearsal to see ho it sits on the mix. I already know the RIC sounds great to my ear for blues.

16. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Hey if the Ric works then that is great but for me a P bass was always the classic blues tone.
    I have never been a fan of Rics, love their guitars and looks but not a fan of their basses.... but that is me.

17. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I Love them both but I agree the P-bass is more of the blues tone out of the box.
    This particular Blues Singer (Curt Coates) really liked the sound and "feel" of my RIC the last 2 jams I had with him. He actually requested it. But he hasn't heard me on my P-Bass yet. I can definitely get a nice groove going with the P.:D