Please help ID this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by richhansen, May 2, 2012.

1. richhansen

richhansen

Oct 2, 2006
    Utah
    Endorser of the KSM Foundation Bridge.
    I don't know anything about this bass, except the owner claims it was played by a member of the Boston Pops Orchestra. I know that's not much to go on, but if anyone can offer some help on identifying what make and approximate year of manufacturer, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    I'm not an expert but it looks a lot like some mid 1800s tyrol region basses I've seen. A lot of them are what they call blockless wonders b ut if it is sound structurally they are pretty sought after. Those are what they call "the poor mans italian bass". Usually they had very wide cello like shoulders though, yours look pretty sloped so I could be wrong completely.

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    More close-up pix: scroll, button, pegbox...

4. richhansen

richhansen

Oct 2, 2006
    Utah
    Endorser of the KSM Foundation Bridge.
    Here are a couple more photos

Attached Files:

5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Again, nice arty photos, but if you want an ID you'll need to take the pix from straight on to minimise the distorting effect of the lens.

6. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    You mention "the owner" as if you are considering a purchase.

Aside from the origin and age, most of us can tell the bass needs work. The top is separating down the centre (bottom half of the bass), and is under tension. The tension isn't a good thing!

The tailpiece and tuners definitely look old, but might not be original to the bass. The saddle is really unusual - probably not in a good way.

A pic of the button (neck/body join, from the back) would also be helpful.

Cheers,

Paul (Eh_train)

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021