1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help ID this MIJ 70's Jazz copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fekwood, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Fekwood

Fekwood The Mighty Beer Atom!

Jan 18, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Picked this up locally from a Craigslist ad. When I saw the ad I thought it was going to turn out to be an SX or maybe a Squire. I went to check it out and it turned out to be a Made In Japan bass with no manufacture's name anywhere on the bass. There's no evidence of a decal that was sanded off the head stock. All parts and finish look to be original with some very nice aged patina on the hardware. The frets are in excellent shape. The workmanship appears to be top notch with no flaws in the finish. As a woodworker myself, I know the body is Maple, not alder or ash. The neck is flat sawn Maple with a real nice Rosewood fretboard. The block inlays are not mother of pearl, but look like to be some sort of a synthetic material. They almost look like aluminum, but most likely some sort of plastic or acrylic.

As I was cleaning up the bass, I took plenty of pics in hopes that someone could help me identify it. I cleaned up the grit and grime on the body and neck, but left the hardware alone, love that aged looked. I put a new set of strings on it and did a complete set up. The verdict... the bass is wonderful! I was able to set it up with low action and the sound is damn good! Although at some point I may try different pickups in it, or should I leave it all original?
    I'm still trying to get used to the neck dive and those magnetic pole pieces are sharp. Over all weight is approx 9.5-10 lbs.

So can anyone tell me the manufacture, the approx. year and value of this beauty?

Any info will be much appreciated!

Detailed photos can be seen here:
    http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/Fekwood/MIJ/

MIJJazz1.

MIJJazz2.

body1.

Body2.

Headstockfront.

Headstockback.

neckbody1.

neckbody2.

Controlplate-1.

potscap2.

pups1.

neckplate.

neck2.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  2. Looks nice ,from the 2 piece neck I would say it can be either a hohner or memphis,

While it looks good this is one of the lower end copies ,grecko and tokai were usually the better copies for sure.

3. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    The blocks on the fretboard remind me of an older Kawai.

4. Donne

Donne

Sep 17, 2008
    I saw an MIJ copy with the same neckplate years ago and the brandname was Heerby

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i doubt your going to get any specific brand name, but by the neck plate, it looks to be a matsumoku manufactured bass which wore various brand names.

6. Fekwood

Fekwood The Mighty Beer Atom!

Jan 18, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the responses! It would be interesting to find out what year it was made.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  7. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Looks 1978-80'ish to me. Most likely Matsumoku-made, as narud noted. Might be an Aria, an Electra, an Elk or even a Vorg.