Please help identify Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LukeSlywalker, Dec 12, 2014.

1. LukeSlywalker

LukeSlywalker

Jun 9, 2014
    image.jpg Seller says it is a SR5006e. Neck and pickups are not stock he says . From what I can find, it doesn't look like a prestige. He doesn't know the year. Can you help identify it for me? The bridge and knobs make me think it is not a prestige . Could it be just a really old model? Thanks

OldDirtyBassist likes this.
  2. LukeSlywalker

LukeSlywalker

Jun 9, 2014
    Input on the side is weird as well. Seems they only do that on the very low end models

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I have a "very" (not really) old model that looks rather like that. Not sure if it's low end, but I'd bet not Prestige - I don't recall that name existing then, possible I just wasn't paying attention (another eBay score for cheaper than it should've been, felt guilty).
    Edit: By "not really" just saying old for a Soundgear, perhaps, but at my age, I can't call any Soundgear "old".

4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Mine definitely is, guess it's low end. Guess that's why I got the (much nicer) BTB soon after.

5. LukeSlywalker

LukeSlywalker

Jun 9, 2014
    Nothing wrong with the lower end SR, great bass for the price. I'm just trying to figure out what kind this one is since it looks nothing like a new SR5006e

6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Yeah, I never really knew that much about all the different flavors. So that neck, if it's not original, must have been from another soundgear, or custom cut / modded, that's not any kind of standard neck pocket route size / shape, is it?

7. LukeSlywalker

LukeSlywalker

Jun 9, 2014
    Yeah I noticed that too. Lots of weird little things on this bass that are confusing me lol. He is looking for around 500$ to sell

8. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    No chance that's a 5006e, or anything retaining parts from one. The 5006e doesn't have body woods or pickup routes or control routes that at all match this. The body is probably from a low-end SR 6 string. I don't even know which model has pickups that narrow, the stock ones all seem to have wide soapbars. Any images of the neck? I'm curious to see what it is (also where they got it).

9. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    To my eye....

a) It's NOT a SR5006e
    b) Looks like it was refinished (badly) to look darker
    c) If not for the SIZE of the pickups, I would say it was a refinished and modified late 90s SR506.

I would guess an early 90's mid-range SR that has been modified to have a "prestige" look about it.

10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Aaahhhhh, so they didn't "relic" this basss, they "Tarjaaay"ed it.

11. Looks like an old SR886

PortlandBass77, Zebra and jim777 like this.
  12. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    It sure does! Good eye.

13. LukeSlywalker

LukeSlywalker

Jun 9, 2014
    Wow yes I think you got it! Anyone know what they were worth back then and what a good price now would be ?

14. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Agreed. Most importantly, this is in no way, shape, or form a 5006 :) It looks like an SR886 (made from '91 through '93) that has had the finish (black, red, or blue) removed. It is not a Prestige instrument, in that it precedes the Prestige line by several years, though it may well be a nice instrument. For this one you really do have to play it - I have personally bought a lot of basses sight unseen but I wouldn't be tempted at all on this one.

15. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
  16. I'm pretty positive SR886, '92 likely. Bridge is not original and from the looks of it it's mounted out of alignment. In this condition wouldn't give $100 for it let alone $500, used SR886s can be had for $250 on evilbay

BrBss, LukeSlywalker and Maxdusty like this.
  17. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    It looks like an SR886 that's been modded - bridge is different, knobs are not the stock ones.
    I don't think they made it stock in that finish so it's been modded quite a bit.
    If you remove the neck, you should see the model number on the neck and the pocket. Also serial number should start with "F" for Fujigen.
    Not a Prestige, but a grand daddy of the prestige class- made in Japan. Still a well made bass but perhaps not worth the asking price.

LukeSlywalker likes this.
  18. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    If the seller would jack the price down way low, actually I'd think about buying it. I'm actually keen on having a cheap stand-in for my SR1206e that I can leave in the practice space to keep from lugging gear around to every rehearsal. It would need to make it to CA though...

LukeSlywalker likes this.
  19. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    If it's anything like my SR800, I would also consider buying it but at a lower price. The MIJ Ibanez basses are really very high in quality however with the mods and as spectorfreak mentioned, the bridge being slightly askew, the value is not top dollar. There's no telling what changes may have been made with the electronics too.

20. JustForSport

JustForSport Guest

Nov 17, 2011
    Altho the neck extension past the fretboard looks like early SR500 ( and SR800) series, late 90's SR506's had a wide trussrod cover-as wide as the string spacing at the nut, due to having 2 trussrods. This one is narrower.
    Also, altho that's a sturdy-looking bridge, it's not like SR500 or SR800 series.
    Are those pickups radiused, as maybe CAP pickups? I don't think Ibanez had any long radiused pickups then- don't know when Bart made some, tho.