1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help identify these flatwound strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jacoby75, Mar 28, 2015.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    image. image. image. Hey guys,

I recently rediscovered my love of flats and decided to string up my jazz with some I had sitting around that came with another bass I bought. I'd like to buy more for my p bass, but I don't know what kind they are. Can you please help?

(Ignore the one with gold silk. I'm pretty sure that's a Jamerson. I didn't have a G for this set).

Here's what I know:

They fit my 35" scale bass well.
    Tapered B string.
    Blue silk. The silky area is super bumpy from the string underneath. Feels like it's going to make your fingers bleed while you're changing them, but it would be worth it. : )
    No silk on the ball end.
    Lighter tension than my Jamersons.
    Thunderous tone, but also has a nice growly zing to them.

I know it's a lot of subjective info, but any guess as to what they are? Maybe LaBella? I know they sell a tapered B.

Thanks.

2. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
  3. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Thanks.

4. I don't know enough about strings to provide a definitive answer to your inquiry.

I'm just here to give you credit for being very detailed and specific about what you have, including the large, clear photos of the top-middle-bottom - more so than most posts I've seen around here.

Based on all the info you've provided, I'm sure someone will be able to chime in with the answer you're looking for.

petrus61 likes this.
  5. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    Sadowsky?

6. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    G string is a DR Legend.

Could the rest be Chromes or LaBella 760FM? Both fit the color, no idea which (if any) has a tapered B.

Root 5 likes this.
  7. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    I think LaBella, only because I know theirs has a tapered B string. (At least the DTF's do). I emailed them as well as Jason at Bass strings online for help. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Thanks! I try to take this stuff pretty seriously. In my 30+ years of playing I have tried just about every string brand out there at one point or another, and I know I go through countless kinds on each bass before I find that "right" one. I know I like these strings, and I know they'll sound good. I don't want to go through that search again if I can help it. : )

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Best to measure but yes the BEAD strings look like La Bella. Depending on the size of the EAD they are probably 760FM set. G does look like a DR.

Root 5 and Klonk like this.
  9. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Thanks, Jason. I measured them tonight, but the numbers are off. I'm sure there are a lot of things that could account for that (I tried measuring them at tension vs loose, but the difference was negligible). But they have been taken on and off of a couple of basses, to that might be part of it. But here's what I came up with:
    B: .127
    E: .110
    A: .095
    D: .072

If those numbers are even close to right, then it's closest to the Labella Medium set, as you suggested. Thanks.

On a side note, what would be the difference tonally between the Labella standard set and the medium set, all other things being equal?

Thanks

10. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    Looks to me like you have the 0760M 5-string "Jamerson" set. They are 52-73-95-110-128

11. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Ahh. That's entirely possible. I had three sets of flatwounds sitting around. None of which I purchased. I know one came on a bass that I bought, but I couldn't even tell you how I came to have the other two. Maybe they were also in a case with something I bought. Point being, none of them ever had packaging. I knew that I had a Jamerson set, but I thought that was the ones with the gold silk, because those are really thick and super high tension. But maybe these blue ones that I just put on the Lakland ARE the Jamersons and the gold is something else. DR Legends, as was mentioned above. Thanks.

Klonk likes this.
  12. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Would the Jamerson set have a tapered B string?

13. According to the info here, yes.

14. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Nice. Looks like that's it. Thanks for the help. I'll take more of those, please! I played my Lakland Skyline 55-60 in church yesterday with those strings for the first time . . . . oh my dear lord, they are incredible! I'm probably never going back to roundwound again. They're so smooth to the touch, and sound absolute thunderous.

Klonk likes this.
  15. When I started playing in church 20 mths ago, I was told I needed rounds on my J for the contemporary P&W music.

Well... not any more; I just put a set of Fender 9050 on my J and am planning to stick with flats from now on.
    I'm just waiting to acquire a decent P bass to put a set of La Bella 760FL on. (Sorry, the "Jamerson" set would be a little too hard on my left hand.)

16. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Flats get a bad rap. Most people (outside of this community) who would advise against flats probably don't have any real experience with them, or know how to play properly to get the right tone. I thought for years (before I ever played them) that they were dull, thumpy, unclear, and would have no sustain. But that's probably because everything I associated with flats (like Motown stuff) had that kind of tone based on using foam or string dampers and playing technique to make it thumpy on purpose. Technique can make a big difference. They really didn't sound much different from my roundwound strings, except they were smoother, and had a stronger fundamental. They still had great sustain, and they're so much easier on your fingers. Yeah, they are a little stiff, but they're so much easier to play than roundwounds, it works for me. Plus I have giant meat hooks for hands, so I can handle it. : ) I wish I had tried flats sooner. I know they're not perfect for everything. I wouldn't try to slap with them, for example, but I don't slap anyway. I'm a DR endorsing artist. They make incredible strings. I've used the "formerly known as Marcus Miller" Fat Beams exclusively on all of my basses for years now. But flats are just a whole new world. I'll have to try some DR flats. The thing I didn't like about my 5-string jazz with the maple fretboard (seen in my profile pic) is that roundwound strings are so "zingy" and "clicky" on it. But it still had the tone I was looking for at the time. But when I put the flats on it last weekend, it cured the "zingy and clicky" problem right up, and the tone is to die for. I'm very pleasantly surprised. Next up is to string my Mike Lull P5 up with flats. I'm sure it will be thunderous.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    petrus61, Klonk and michael_t like this.