1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please help identify these P pickups!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by R&B, Sep 30, 2017.

1. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

IMG_4761.JPG IMG_4762.JPG IMG_4763.JPG IMG_4764.JPG Was going to put some Fender '62 originals in my new-to-me Fender FSR American Standard. These don't look like stock pickups. What are they please!?! Thanks guys.

2. Look like stock pickups to me.

R&B likes this.
  3. R&B

Thanks for the reply! Would those be the pre-Custom Shop American Standards? I took a set out of an MIM '50s awhile back to replace with Pure Vintage '58 (awesome tone BTW). I didn't recall Fender using yellow lead wire or handwritten serial number on the 2011 Am Std pickups. (I do vaguely recall yellow wire being associated with Lakland-Hanson...??)

The tone circuit has been messed with on this bass for sure, there's a Vitamin Q cap and a lot of soldering. So I imagined that the pickups could have been replaced.

4. Mikeee71

Mikeee71 Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Yes those are stock Fender pups.

R&B likes this.
  5. R&B

Muchas gracias. In the absence of any dissenting opinions, the "worst pickups ever made" (per @JimmyM) will soon be making way for Fender '62 Originals, or maybe a Lollar or D.Allen that I have in other basses at the moment. New tone circuit too, I think. Easy enough to do.

Already have a GZR-equipped P bass--as is well known on TB, JimmyM gives lots of well-deserved love to those puppies.

6. Mikeee71

Mikeee71 Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    David Allen precision pups are awesome I highly recommend!

R&B likes this.