Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PLEASE HELP IM DESPERATE ABOUT WHICH AMP TO BUY!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by diego_sanchez21, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Hello,

I really need a new amp and im not really sure which one should I buy. I would highly respect and also be thankful to the person who helps me.

This is more or less what I need:

- 60-100 W
    - Good quality sound, good features, good company.
    - I have a Fender Prescicion Bass
    - More or less 200-300 dollars worth.

I know that some people think I am crazy that I will find such a good deal but I am not asking about a MesaBoogie or a Marshall. Im just asking a good amp...thats all.:rolleyes: PLEASE GOD HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You may want to get an amp/head a little bigger than that. You may not think you need over 100 watts today, but you may in the future.

It is nice anyway to have plenty of headroom in your amp instead of always running it "balls out".

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll agree to that, just answering the guy's question. But since you started, I'll go along.

I got a 240 watt GK stack, and love it to death. For practicing alone, it's overkill, I honestly just wanted to upgrade from a 15 watt Crate, and the stack looks cool. So I got 240, never thought much of it, said I could always upgrade later. It's been a year and I need to upgrade! 240 isn't playing with the big boys, and it's hardly catchin up to the little kids.

But for the money, you'll love the GK. If you don't believe me, ask Dan Elliot :D

:bassist:

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Diego,
    Tell us more about where you'll be using it. did you need a combo (Pre+amp+speaker) or just a head (pre+amp) or just an amp (amp only)? How loud does it need to be bedroom, play with stereo, play with friends in basement, play in church, play in bar, play in stadium? :) How much can you spend?

Check ebay, search "bass amp" or "bass combo" under "musical instruments" section.

brands to look for: SWR, ampeg, eden, gallien-krueger, peavey. DON'T BUY THE CHEAPEST YOU CAN FIND. research your choices. Don't panic!!! if you panic you'll probably get something you won't like a little while down the road.

for combos I'd recommend SWR Workingman Combos, NOT THE LA SERIES!!. The wm-12 is my favorite. workingman 12 or 15 on ebay sell for no more than $350.

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hmmm,, THIS sounds familiar! hehe

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I know I'm a broken record....record....record

I actually played a wm-12 today, no not for the first time, and I still like the tone, but I guess I've over estimated the volume some. they had a wm-15 old style, but it was not plugged in. here is the store... http://www.my-music-store.com/ if you watch the tv commercials on the site you can see Fishbulb a talkbass member and the websites designer.