Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PLEASE HELP!!!! I'M GONNA BLOW SOMETHIN UP!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Mar 19, 2003.

1. O.k. I'm now running an Ampeg B2R head through and SWR Workingman 4x10. Now the head is hooked up to a compressor (I'm not sure what kind). And the problem is that when I have the head hooked up to the cabinet is sounds great (the best tone I've ever gotten) but; when I hook up my Ampeg 6x10 Classic everything starts farting. Not the Ampeg just the SWR. I've gotten it to stop but I have to turn the master volume way down. And also when I slide anywhere from like the 10th or 12th fret to below that (say around the 15th) my speakers also fart or clip. Now how can I get this to stop? Playing below the 12th fret is a must for me and I can't do it because whatever I hit makes the cabinet clip. I've got plenty of room for wattage cause the Ampeg can hold up to 1200 so I can't thing of anything that would fix this. Thanks.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Eh, play softer when up high?

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You probably don't have enough power. Your B2R is only 200 watts, and the amp is clipping. Why you are only hearing it through the SWR is a mystery, though. What are the ohmages of the cabs, and what ohm outputs have you got assigned to these cabs? Inquiring minds want to know.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    ohm loads? Sound like those could both be 4ohm cabs....

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The SWR is 8 ohms, the Ampeg 4.

This makes almost no sense.

6. I'd say try the SWR on a different amp. If it farts out, you've got a blown/damaged SWR cab. In that case, have it looked at.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yeah, but he says that it's the Ampeg that starts all the farting. Then says it's not the Ampeg. . .

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

From the title, I thought this was a terrorist threat - stop the attacks or we will blow up all your amps!! ;)

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Thanks. The caption is:

"Huh, huh - you said 'bush'"
    "Huh, huh, you said 'dick'"

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I think I'm gonna stick with this one though.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But anybody who reads this thread from now on, won't know what on earth you mean!! ;)

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I know, isn't that great? :D

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You have a mis-matched ohm load when you have both cabs on. Looks like your total load is somewhere around 5 or 6, which is probably freaking your head out. That coupled with a low power head like the B2R is causing your problems. Match up your ohm load and you should be ok.

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Oooooohh. Both cabinets on at the same time?

The total ohm load in that case is 2.67 ohms, which that head probably can't handle. Don't do it.
    Use just one or the other, or two 8-ohm cabs, or a head that can handle 2-ohm loads.

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Unless the head is stable at 2.6 ohms, check your users manual online to be sure. I thought some of the WM cabs were 4 ohm, at which case your total load would be 2 ohms, which is probably a no-no whether the manufacturer says it's a good idea or not. Second off, what the heck do you need ten-10's for anyway??? :eek:

16. Yeah, both amps at the same time. The SWR farts and the ampeg is fine. I also have a workinman 4004 head. Do you think that would be enough power? And you're saying I need to match up the ohms on the cabs. So my ampeg has an ohm selector on the back. I think that's what that knob is. Could switching that work? Or do I just need to have more power? I want six tens because I can. And umm, we practice really loud.

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    First, I'd suggest reading the FAQ to find out about ohms and cabinet impedance and such.

18. Why not just use the 6X10? I'm sure that would do fine for a practice. Try getting by with a 25 watt amp! :D