Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PLEASE HELP -- Jazz Bass pickup!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sfbass, Oct 28, 2003.

1. sfbass

sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi,
    I took my 1970 Jazz Bass in to get the original pickups put back in and it turns out that one of them is shot. (Okay, let me elaborate...it's not only shot but the two pickups I'd given the shop turned out both to be neck pickups...I'd bought the bass used in 1983 so I was just giving them what came with it.)

So...as he already did a lot of work I'm now faced with having to buy a new bridge position pickup to be used with the original neck one.

The shop is saying that Seymour Duncan pickups are good but I must admit I'm very bummed out as I was wanting to get the bass into a more "original" state.

Does anyone have any recommendations between Seymour Duncan or new Fender replacement pickups? I know both companies make various models but if anyone can offer any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

2. I would go with the duncan replacement myself and if you look at my profile you can see I am a fender freak!

The duncans are a bit louder then the stock pups but, you still get vintage tone!

Let us know what you decide!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    The Duncan Antiquity series pickups are great if are going for a traditional tone, they even look old.

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I'd say just jump into a set of Duncans. Classic Stacks? Hot Stacks? Check out the tone chart at SD to see what you're looking for.

Was the one good original pickup still even strong in output? Reason I ask is because I too got the original pickups that came in my '70 Jazz, and I reinstalled them to find the output on the low side with the tone sounding very, very old skool...not bright or powerful at all. I put a meter on them to find low-ish 6.3 and 6.5k readings. I had a vintage reissue set laying around that had readings of 8.1 and 8.3, so I installed those and the bass came to life, bright and powerful like it should. One of these days when I have time I'll go to Duncans.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Duncan SJB1's - my J p/u of choice. I'm after a very old school vibe for the most part and the SJB1's provide a nice vonatge sound to my ear.

I'd do the set rather than just the bridge ... you can always send the old one off to Lindy Fralin or someone else for re-winding and then you have a spare set.