Please help! Looking for Particular Sound!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Knavery, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hello everyone:
    It is my birthday today, and I have requested Amazon gift certificates where I intend to buy some new CDs. Only, I have no idea what I'll actually enjoy. I did listen to some soundclips of Kaipa thinking I might like them, but I didn't. I really like large, odd-time, syncopated pieces, but am getting sick of the same old Dream Theater bit. I'm not necessarily looking for something as heavy, but something as rockin as the heaviest/proggiest parts of Transatlantic, or the last 3 minutes of Sacred Sound off of IQ's Dark Matter CD. I really love that stuff. I absolutely love Tangent's first CD, but the second was ok. So you get the idea. I have enough mellow prog CDs by the Flower Kings and Spock's Beard which some of you may disagree with as being heavy, but I just want something very gutsy, but with a proggy, syncopated feel I guess.

I really like the rockin out parts of IQ, and would like some suggestions. I'm not too much into slower ballads, and prefer to stick to CDs that have a faster feel to them. I would also like to stay away from the poppier CDs, and stick to true progressive. Hehe. A few of my favorite songs are:

Tiles - Modification
    Yes - Close to The Edge (love this)
    Porcupine Tree - The Sound of Muzak
    Yes - Awaken
    Transatlantic - My New World (mainly the heavier parts)
    Flower Kings - Devil's Playground
    IQ - Sacred Ground (love this)
    Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons
    Tangent - The Canterbury Sequence (love this)
    Pain of Salvation - Fandango
    Rush - 2112, Cgnus-X1, Xanadu

Not sure what else to put there. I know there's a lot, and some of you may think I'm a bit picky, but I am just searching for music that feels good to my ears is all. Thanks for any input you have.

2. Well a definite must is King Crimson.

My favorite era is the Starless Bible Black, Lark Tongues and Red lineup but all of em were great.

From Court of the Crimson King to Islands they were real hippieish prog much like Yes. From SBB to Red they were heavy proto metal prog with lots of quirk. From Discipline to present they were just weird and kick ass. Their music is very challenging but highly reccomended.

Also check out Magma..............THE PROG BAND

and maybe Genesis.

The Ozric Tentacles too if you don't mind improvised , jammy prog.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Have you listened to Gordian Knot? Their last album was fantastic.
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

A little more straight-up but killer anyway is Yes' 'Fragile' LP.
  5. Hey mate, happy birthday!

Have you got Mars Volta? Both their albums are good.

Cave In's "Antenna" is a good album, sorta like early/mid Rush in parts.

Hope this helps :D
  6. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Haha.. Thanks for all the feedback. I have much of the Yes catalogue including 'Fragile'. I also have most of the 'King Crimson' catalogue. I just bought 'Francis The Mute' by The Mars Volta which is pretty good. Tonight I bought Bitches Brew by Miles Davis, and Deadwing by Porcupine Tree.

I just need to find a couple really good prog or neo prog albums now. Maybe I'll pick up Subterannea by IQ or something. Hehe.

Oh, and thanks for the birthday acknowledgement!
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Emerson Lake and Palmer - Tarkus. Brain Salad Surgery.
    Yeti - self-titled (like Red but weirder)
    Miles Davis - Pangaea
    Weird Crap
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Of Natural History
    Frank Zappa - Apostrophe
    Mr Bungle - self-titled

If you like extreme metal, get into The Red Chord, Dillinger Escape Plan, and Opeth.

Everything I mentioned uses odd-time sigs, synchronized riffs, and has a lot going on musically. You might like some of it.

Good luck.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Echoing some stuff but

Peter Gabriel Era Genesis: Really strange and quirky.

Emerson Lake and Palmer: I'd say get Tarkus. The title track is one of the best 22 minute songs ever. ;)

Gentle Giant: Highly highly underrated. I'd say get "Three Friends" or "Free Hand"... really good/strange prog. It manages to be poppy without scaraficing music ability.
  9. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Definitely Gentle Giant! Their live stuff is incredible. "Playing the Fool Live" is one of my alltime favorite LPs! Free Hand also rocks quite a bit, as does Power and the Glory. Octopus is a bit more laid back, but still an outstanding album. Heck, I recommend their entire catalogue! :)