please help me buy some basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clanner, May 17, 2005.

please help me buy a bass

Poll closed May 24, 2005.
  1. Ibanez SR 905 5 string

10 vote(s)
  2. Schecter stiletto studio 6 string

8 vote(s)
  3. EBMM Bongo 5-string

25 vote(s)
  4. EBMM sterling HH or H (or stingray)

37 vote(s)
  5. gibson or epiphone thunder bird

8 vote(s)
  6. Fender jazz bass

54 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I am looking at buying a bass or 2 or 3 during or at the end of this summer. please pick an option above and state a reason, please feel free to post any other suggestions

I plan to spend anywhere from 300 to 1600 total on the basses, and I plan to work my *** off for any of these basses and own atleast half of them.
  2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    First and foremost a Jazz or jazz type.
    They can do anything for the most part. Some of the others are a little more specific sounding, where-as a Jazz relativly generic.
  3. form52

Mar 17, 2005
    I've had my Schecter Studio 6 for about three weeks now and can't say one bad thing about it. I would put it up against just about any bass that costs up to, if not a little more, than twice the money. I've been using it more than my IbanezBTB, my Warwicks, or even my *MTD535.

Best 6 stringer for the money without a doubt.

*only reason I play it more than the MTD is because it's a 6 string.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'd suggest doing a search on all of them, playing all of them as much as you can, and then making your decision. People who play jazz basses are going to say jazz, people who play bongos are going to say bongos, people who play warwicks are going to say none of the above, you should check out a warwick. you're going to get as many answers as there are bass players playingidderent basses here.
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Um...why buy 2 or 3?

Do you have a bass now? If so, use it, and start saving. When you get enough, buy ONE nice bass that does most of what you want.

Don't dive into the deep end of the pool with multiple basses...get one good one and then over time you'll figure out which bass you may want to upgrade or move to if you become unsatisfied with the one you have.
  6. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I'd been gassing for a bongo for a while, and I like the sound, but the schecter and ibanez cam into view when I did not have the money. I plan on buying a jazz eventually so I can have the versitility, and I have no clue how much the new EBMM models will cost. so it is a tossup.

p.s. I could get the ibanez and schecter at the same ime for less than the Bongo or stingray.
  7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'd go and play a bongo HH, and then play a Fender Jazz clone (5-string Lakland JO or DJ) or a good Fender Jazz (USA). Any of those basses offers tremendous tone options; pick the one which seems most comfortable, and you should have no problem getting the tone you want.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I love how everybody is voting for the HH Stingray and Sterling even though they have never played one.:rolleyes:

I have played the rest of those. I would get the Bongo or a Jazz.
  9. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I'd get a Sterling 1st out of your selection and then a J. The Geddy Lee is the nicest Fender I've played in awhile. Oh yeah, I bought an MTD Kingston Active 4 for the hell of it recently- very nice bass for just a little $$$.
  10. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    leaning towards bongo, have to try the HH stingray/sterling. and I know the ibanez, jazz, schecter, and bongo sound good.

decision, desicions decisions. :hyper: :bassist:
  11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    get yourself a nice P bass and be done with it :cool:
  12. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    owned a p. I sold it to a friend and am teaching him to play. it was squier. I like the sound, but may try and save for a 5000 dollar really old p at a church that is recruting me to play since there player went off to college. but I would prefer to stay away from a p bass for now. 9unless I can get a tele styled one.) still leaning toward bongo. going to see if anywhere but GC has one nearby. they aren't personal enough there tho it is still a good store.

btw. I will definatley get a jazz 4 string by the end of sept. so I'm good there.
  13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    if you are planning to use your poll keep in mind that jazz basses have been around for decades while bongos have only been around 2 years. not everybody's yet experienced them yet. just about everyone's experienced with a jazz bass. bongo naturally got my vote, and an interesting thing about them... talk to any bongo owner who owns other basses and ask em what they play. :)

there really is something unbelievably magical about those things. i sold my warwick, put my sterling in the closet, put the rest of my basses up for sale, and bought a second bongo after i played the first for a month. got the 2nd cuz i really wanted a 5 string and the first was 4. next comes the fretless.

i got gass for the HH sterling for about an hour, but it didn't last... it'll probably return and become chronic.
  14. I would like to add Spector to your list - they are worth checking out! Euro Spectors should just about be in your price range, if not the neck thru model, the ReBop will be. Good value for money!

Just my 2 cents worth!
  15. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I agree with Burning Skies, why 2 or 3 :confused:

I also agree with Joe, people will recommend what they like. Buy what you like, they're all good basses :cool:
  16. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    the ibanez 905 neckthrough is awesome. Feels and sounds great. Ibanez makes really good high end stuff. Offcourse you always need to have a jazz bass in stock. Thats the most versatile bass you can get.
  17. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I wasn't sold on the Bongos until this past weekend, when I sat down at GC and played several different basses. I played a Marcus Miller Jazz, a Fender American P-Bass, a Pedulla Rapture, and a Bongo. The Bongo wasn't my favorite for my purposes, but I was still incredibly impressed by it. You can get a ton of sounds out of it, and I kinda dig the way they look. It's definitely a sweet bass, and I'm sure I'll own one after I take care of a few other GAS attacks first. :)
  18. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I vote EB Sterling or Stingray. If the Fender Jazz is an American or Japanese i would consider that as well.

The choices are all over the board, mid range to higher end basses.

If you have the money I wouldn't even consider the cheaper Ibanez and Schecter basses.
  19. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    ya, get a J-Bass, nobody's playing those things :meh:
    I own 2 EBMM Bongo 5s, a fretted dualH and a fretless H/SC/Piezo and they are great, insanely flexible and more bottom end live and in the studio than any engineer knows what to do with. OR wait a few months and get a multi-pickup Sterling or StingRay if the Bongo's looks are a bit much for you.

my 2-bits