Please help me choose a good bass & sax piece for an audition...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by greenbassfreak, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Ok im trying to get into the School of the Arts and i have to audition for the music portion and make up a profolio for it. I need impressive songs for the bass and the sax. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions? I have about a year to work on them.
  2. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    NO not KISS song's, Keep It Simple, some of the
    Best all time Bass lines are simple but show
    how well you can play. I recommend for the Bass
    a Motown song, like: My Girl, or Sugar Pie Honey.
    Give James Jamerson a listen. As far as the Sax
    I dont have any idea there.:)
  3. thanks ill keep that in mind
  4. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i'm just curious where KISS came from? greenbassfreak didnt even mention KISS, i dont understand.. oh well.

make up your own song, incorperate funk-groove, slap, jazzy scales, etc.. try and find a cheap 4-track and build a song.. put some sax in there, and download some drum loops...

i've been listening to alot, and figured out, blackeyed blonde from the chili peppers and if you want me to stay from sly and the family stone... incorperate those 2 styles together and make up a song...

or take "if you want me to stay" and figure it out + speed it up into a slappy part for one part of the song.. instead of using a trumpet, use a sax and play along with it...

obviously you dont have to do a slap part, i just like taking a groovy song and modifying it a bit.... you could do the same thing to that same song with a jazzy finger walking type of groove.. it's a simple song that rocks and would be easy to play different styles to.

just an idea :)

i'd just try and figure out as much as you can and as many different styles as possible... if you can play the same song in several different styles, that is to me quite impressive... and interchanging those styles throughout the song.. mmmmm..

i dunno.. just throwing ideas around.

ooops, i mis-spelled funk!! LOL.
    listen to lots of music.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    And the prize for crappiest thread title the entire month goes to...greenbassfreak!:p

...Now that I fixed your title, here goes:

I'd go with some old, well known standard. It's easier for you to learn and cop licks from and it will be a known tune to the people doing the auditioning.

Usually, tunes don't have to be especially fast. Speed is only one of many factors that are taken into account, including time, dynamics and your overall comfort accompanying another musician. I'm guessing you're playing with a sax player.

Remember, you're a bass player. Play basslines. Leave the Charlie Parker stuff to the sax player.
  6. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    Keep it simple, stupid.
  7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    If you're shootin to get into a jazz program consider buying a Real Book [i have the 5th edition-it's what the union uses {or @ least the indiana one}]. It has more jazz standards than i can think of. This particular one has the likes of So What, Groovin High, and many others. Just a thought though. BTW this would work for sax and bass provided you had the correct key of book.
  8. ill keep these in mind thanks for you suggestions and ill take more
  9. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Listen to some Charles Mingus. I bet you that will give you lots of ideas.
  10. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Weather Report had a legendary saxophonist and the bassist was no slouch.
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    "My Favorite Things" would be great for bass and sax-listen to some of Coltrane's versions for an idea.

Also, if you want the chance to really spread your wings, you could do a version of Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" and use the measures that would normally be for the drum solo for a bass solo. This is one I've always wanted to do, but never had the chance to play with a sax player.
  12. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Punk Jazz-Jaco, would be a nice tune for sax and bass or at least the intro. Haitian Fight Song is one of my favs by Mingus. THat's all
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Pools"...composed by the great Don Grolnick.
    Mike Brecker & Eddie Gomez played this tune on Steps Ahead's debut; I think Will Lee played the bass on the tune when Grolnick released it on a solo disc.