Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help me choose a new bass !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Predator23, Dec 18, 2000.

1. Predator23

Predator23

Dec 18, 2000
    I come to you, the bass masters, to aid me in my quest for a new bass.

I have about $600 (can stretch that) and I want to know what the best 4 string bass for the money is. I am contemplating an Ibanez SR800 (only $589 through AMS) since it is in my price range but many people in the forums here have said that the pickups suck. Is this true ? (I am playing out of a Crate BFX100 (100 Watts) right now in case you were wondering). Today I played a Cirrus through an Ampeg B2 and that kicked ass but it was $1099. Is that a good price? I'm going to Guitar Center in San Fran in a couple days and I would like to know what I should lean towards. I plan on staying and trying out everything they have.

oh yeah.....no Fender. Hate the boat paddles...err...necks.

THANK YOU !!!!!
    Any feedback would be most appreciated.

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Spector:
    NS2000 with Quilted Maple Top. (The Curved one.. not the NS2000Q4)

Cort Curbow 4 String.
    I have the 6 String and its great. I dont know the 4 String , but they are great basses for the money.

I suggest you buy a used instrument.
    You could achieve a G&L, Carvin, Warwick (Streamer/Corvete Standard) for that kind of money
    http://www.ebay.com is the key!!

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I will suggest used as well.

If you shop around, I have seen used Stingrays, Pedulla Series IIs, Pedulla Raptures, Warwicks, Peavey Cirrus, and lots of others, for even less than that.

If you insist on buying new, the aforementioned Spector NS2000 and Cort Curbow are good values, as are the Dean Edge, the Peavey Fury and the Ibanez EDC700.

The main thing is, play as many basses in your price range as you can, and ask people you know who play the bass for their opinions.

But ultimately, it doesn't matter what they like or what I like.

Get what sounds best to your ears and feels best to your hands.

Good luck! :D

4. Used!!!! You can get a great bass for less than 6 if you don't mind buying used........ My first two basses were used....and unless I want something custom I will look for used again.....oh by the way I would go with a G&L or a Stingray.......

....if you groove it, they will come......

5. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    i would get a used bass. my second bass was an Ibanez SR800. it sucks!!! i really dont like it anymore..i was just a 12 year old boy looking to buy a cool looking bass. the only reason i got it was because it was a cool color. now i really dont use it anymore.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    For new basses, I think the Yamaha RBX760 is in your range. Well, OK, it lists for $729, but one should never pay that much.
    However, in the used market, you'll have tons of choices...

Go used! :)

[Edited by Oysterman on 12-19-2000 at 04:31 AM]

7. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I've seen wildly differing opinions on this bass, but I just picked up a Warwick Streamer Standard brand new for $650 at GC in Massachusetts the other day.
    I really like it so far. I really like the 'unfinished' feel of the neck. It's not really some people's cup o' tea, but I'm really happy with it so far.
    Good luck and have fun.

-- Bill