1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help me choose a Squier!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dee_01, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    OK, I have been thinking on it for weeks, but today I am ready to order. I think. :D

Seriously, I am considering a few basses right now and it's doing my head in. My first consideration was the Squier Deluxe Jazz Acvtive 5-string. I heard good reports about this bass and only one or two people mentioning that the electronics are hissy. It looks to me like a great bass for the money, and if I bought it, I'd consider replacing the electronics later on. What really bothers me is the neck width on the 5, it's 2 inches wide at the nut and about 3 inches wide at the top. I have no idea how deep the neck is, I'm hoping it's quite slim and quick. Guitar is my main instrument and I'm used to particularly skinny necks on Ibanez RG's, so jumping to a 5-string with a tree trunk neck isn't exactly appealing.

My other consideration is the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz. The maple bodied one looks amazing. The fretless does too, but I don't want a fretless as my only bass, maybe later. There's just something about that VM Jazz look that says "hey! buy meeee!", plus I have always been a sucker for Jazz basses anyway. I love the slim neck and the overall look.

I could deal with not having a 5-string, though it'd be useful, it's not a deal breaker. And sets of 4 strings are cheaper than 5! Hehe. I see benefits to both these basses, but I would really appreciate any input that you guys can give. I hate being unable to make up my mind! One thing is I'm buying blind -- I cannot try out either of these instruments beforehand.

2. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Well, thanks for the help, guys!

I ordered the VM 70's Jazz.

[​IMG]

3. Gadolinium

Gadolinium

Feb 3, 2007
    Wiltshire UK
    That is a nice looking bass, you ordered the right one, imo

4. you're welcome :D :D :D Good bass..very vintage sounding.

5. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007

I agree, having thought about it for a while now, plus I can't find a bad review. Can't wait to get it!

By the way, if any Euro or UK guys want one of these, try www.woodbrass.com. They are based in France but deliver all over. I paid £175, which is a lot less than most other places. VAT to the UK is included, plus economy shipping is free. I chose the better shipping method though, which is £14. All together I spent £189, which I think is a steal.

6. HeebeeJB

HeebeeJB

Jun 5, 2007
    Washington UK
    Very nice looking Bass. would look good with a bridge cover...I use a Squier myself.
    Satin Pewter Standard.
    Jb1.jpg

7. Well, I didn't see this thread in time to actually give you any advice on your decision, but I can chime in now and say you should be very happy with your choice! I got one over a month ago and am very happy with it. If you want to know more (and haven't read it already), just check out my review on the Reviews page. Enjoy!

Brian

8. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Thanks Brian, I'll check that out in a sec!

HeebeeJB -- sweet looking bass you got there. I'm thinking of an Audere preamp and a Badass II bridge for the first mods. Not so sure about a bridge cover as I like to use that area for fingerstyle playing. It would indeed look good though.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021